Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking brakes - any sprays available?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Squeaking brakes - any sprays available?

So.. this past September I replaced my rear brake pads. The kit I ordered off of the internet came with a lubricant to put on the pads to limit squeaking. The mechanic I was working with didn't want to use the lube for whatever reason. I brought the subject up more than once but was handed back the lubricant and told 'don't want to use it'. My issue is this: my brakes squeak at every stop sign. I literally curse at every corner and am kicking myself for not insisting that the grease was applied. I am getting to the point of paralysis with this vehicle but am not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I don't know which direction to turn. Is there any way to stop this squeaking? A spray perhaps? Can I still apply the grease or can anyone suggest anything to lessen the brake noise? I am thinking that I'll take the vehicle in to have it inspected on December 27th (day off) and pay the $$ to have it done right. Any suggestions?

Old 12-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

grease can still be applied.
@backing shim/caliper

Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea pop those pads back out, clean the caliper slides, pins, brackets and points on the pads really well, debur anything, scrape off gunk, then apply caliper grease as directed to the slide areas, back of the pads etc. and put the pads back in the same spots you take them off of and see if that helps. Also look for built up crap on the rotors, scorch marks, pits or anything unusual like wear marks, valleys in the surface, and uneven or angled wear on the pads.

ps. pads are alot easier to do then you would think by yourself, all you need are the correct sized drives, torque wrench that can go low enough for the caliper bolts and high enough for the wheel nut torque specs and caliper bolts (you can rent them but you should really own one anyway), some brake cleaner spray, gloves, rags, and jack stand really. And Rave too page 887+ describe process, its easy, lots of youtube videos out there too!

edit ps. dont bother getting one of those big cans of grease either, 2-3 packets on the register counter at autozone/advance/pepboys is more then enough for 1 axle

Last edited by grandkodiak; 12-17-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And find a new mechanic! Or as said above do the brakes yourself. It's not difficult.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

D2 pads can be accessed by loosening up 2 bolts with a 12mm socket. Personally, I don't use grease. On the advice of an owner of a German car repair shop I started using hi-temp never seize on the pads on a Jetta I had years ago and have been using it ever since with great success but the grease should work great too. I just find manipulating those tiny packets that come with the pads to be too annoying!

Old 12-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

^yeppp copper anti-seize works great, that's what I use.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

or if you are in a pinch

just kidding of course.
but speaking of torque wrenches, I purchased 4 at lowes last month. they had not been selling, in that specific store, and they were making room for better sellers, in the up coming year. they were on clearance. the most expensive one was 1/2". it was a whooping $20, marked down like $100. might be worth looking at your local hd or lowes. see if the are dumping junk that you normally would not think of.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn thats a good price haha... I've owned a few BMW motorcycles, I'm a torque wrench **** now hahaha

Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

yep...I got two that are inch pounds. like $10 a pop. bsa and triumphs here oh and they work well for firearms. 2 drawers full of torque wrenches

Old 12-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I'll try that. As for the mechanic - he's a good guy. I trust his judgment and he used anti-seize on the front tires, so no noise there. I owe him a lot for all he has done for me this past year with the head gasket job, brakes, power steering rebuild, water pump replacement, etc. We were going to get around to putting the anti-seize on the back tires but winter set in too early and my Rover was a bit difficult to work with as the tires were seized on pretty tight as I hadn't rotated them (naughty me..) We actually had to use a 2x4 to get them off, along with a lot of cussing, kicking, huffing and puffing - not to mention hitting our heads on the underbody... I'm fairly new at mechanical issues and am learning. Thanks for the tips on the tools and getting the gunk off. I still have the lube packets and will look into bargains at Lowe's, etc. - probably will pass on the hot sauce..... lol..

Quick Reply: Squeaking brakes - any sprays available?