Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking, squealing and whining

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 03:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Squeaking, squealing and whining

I know it’s not my wife and kids because I don’t have a wife and kids, but I’ve got all the noises they make all of a sudden. I can’t tell if it’s a belt, but something is whining at lower speeds that changes pitch as the RPMs vary. It seemed at first like a power steering issue, which was odd since I’d just topped up the tank, but I’ll check if the system lost fluid.

Also, I’d heard a different sort of squealing noise for a few months that came and went and I wasn’t sure if it was something like a belt, a pulley or a wheel bearing if that’s possibly the culprit.

Are there good ways to test all of this? Usually when something is making extra noise, I tend to think it requires attention.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:38 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Get a cheap stethoscope (or even a long screwdriver) and check all of the pulleys and accessories while the truck is running. It also helps to remove the fan, just don't run it so long that it overheats. A whine/groan would have me thinking steering pump as you said. A squeal or chirp sounds more like a pulley or belt. It should be pretty clear once you start probing individual items.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, I ordered an inexpensive stethoscope that has a long probe and hopefully it’ll be possible to get at the pulleys without removing the fan. I’m don’t think I have a wrench that would fit the nut on the fan, but I should probably get one. I’ve read that it could be the power steering pump and that using generic fluid isn’t a good idea, but I really don’t know anything about that. When checking the pulleys with a stethoscope, you just poke at things and see if you can hear the noise louder in certain areas or do you also push at things to try to make them make the noise? I’m hoping I can do this without removing the fan so I can run the motor longer while I’m trying to figure out what’s going on. Is there a method you’d use for wheel bearings or other wheels parts that might make these kinds of noises? I’m not sure that’s possible, just thinking of different things that spin or turn that could make these sorts of noises. The engine whine is also very concerning to me. It seemed to vary as the accelerator pedal was pushed or let off.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Somehow, right after topping up the power steering tank and driving, it dropped a good amount of fluid so it’s below the minimum level now. What would you do? It seems that it’ll lose fluid again really fast if I add more to it... I don’t want to drive anywhere if it’s unsafe right now. Please advise.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:31 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I would find the source of the leak and fix it. If it's leaking from the pump case, thats a pretty easy fix with a new pump.

If you are losing fluid AND hearing a whine, I would bet on the pump. Just need to get in there and check everything over. Post pick if you're unsure.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:13 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for your help

I think I blew out my power steering pump doing something stupid, but I'm not sure... I had just finished working on the throttle body and heater plate and thought the power steering fluid was low in the tank, so I added more - but while I was driving, it began making noise (not immediately, but after a day or two) and I'm pretty sure it's the pump that went now. When I looked, the power steering fluid tank was only about halfway filled. I think I might have overfilled the tank when I thought it was low (maybe it was fine and I just ruined it). Is that possible or even likely that that's what happened here? I saw that in the Atlantic British video about the pump replacement, they said not to use anything but the Land Rover fluid - is this also critical, or is there a special type that can be used safely?

Also, would you trust this replacement part? It's a lot less than some other options and it says it has a 10 year warranty from a seller that's been on ebay for a long time with a good reputation:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Steer...4AAOSwOERfpXtH

I've never done a replacement like this and I hope I can manage it, but I'll probably need some tools, like a long wrench to remove the fan - I've pulled off a fan in a BMW before and it was tricky, so I hope this is easier...

About the power steering pump and lines - should I try to run the vehicle and see what's going on before I just buy a pump and replace it? I guess I'll need the special wrench anyway to get the fan off, so I might as well get that. The stethoscope arrived today. My life has been such a mess with everything lately I was hoping after that throttle body work I'd be in the clear for a bit. I'll try to find time to get into this, just looks like it'll take a while and cost a lot, but that's like life itself, I guess.

I'm hoping I don't have to replace all sorts of lines in this system as well. Hopefully I didn't destroy those when I added too much fluid. I'll have to figure out how to bleed this system properly, as well - I've never done anything like this, but I'm feeling up to trying before anything else. I shouldn't drive anywhere until this is fixed right? Luckily, most of the time I can work from home right now, but it's not good being stuck 30m out of the nearest developed area. Looks like I'll be ordering a lot of stuff and waiting for it to arrive before I'm able to leave again - if I'm able to leave again. That whining noise really scares me and I didn't realize it could have been the power steering pump since it seemed like it was making the noise even when the wheels were straight and the noise varied with the amount of pressure on the accelerator... now that I understand it's a belt/pulley driven system, it makes more sense that that's what it could be. It's too dangerous and stupid to drive like that though right? My drive involves mountain roads and a mountain highway that's notorious for accidents.

Last edited by neuropathy; 11-23-2020 at 12:15 AM.