Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky noise 2004 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who did you buy it from? Rosenthal?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Giverny
Spike, that sounds time consuming, annoying and stressful. I really don't think the issue is the car. I think it's the dealership. They are incompetent.
I understand, yes it would be time consuming but I just get a bad feeling about this truck.

Best of luck to you and I hope you get it all sorted out.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Drifting

Spike, you may be right. I'd just hate to think I bought a lemon. I really really hope that isn't the case. I do like the car a lot. But it has spent about 10 days in the shop of the 40 some days I've owned it.

I got it at Land Rover Alexandria. I believe that's Don Beyer. I just called Service and they can't get me in until the 23rd. Also, they said that they can't tell if the drive shaft has been changed. All they can do is check if it's greased or not. And they did and it's fine so there's nothing more they can do there. Service said to talk to Sales about the 140 point inspection.

Sales said that the 140 point inspection was done and what he gave me is a copy of the original. I said there are things wrong with the car that they checked off as OK. They are not taking any responsibility for it. I received the car a month ago after they purportedly did the 140 point inspection and everything checked out 'OK'. During this past month the car has:
1. Had paint fixed on the bumper - was there before
2. Had a tear in the leather fixed - was there before
3. Had the bumper realigned because it wasn't taken care of before i got the car
4. Had the hood realigned because that wasn't fixed either.
5. Gotten new tires because they were cupped and the front tire was patched - this is one of the 140 points. They marked it as OK. but then they changed the tires 500 miles later. ??? How does that work?

I said I'm going to take the car to another mechanic since they can't get me in sooner and they said to let them know what the other mechanic says.

Seriously guys, if you have a mechanic you can recommend, that'd be great. I could also take it to another LR Dealership in Tysons or Centreville which I think are Rosenthal.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get under your truck and look for Grease zerks on the u-joints on the front shaft.. If you don't have them, it HAS to be re-built or replaced. No matter what they tell you.

Your truck has obviously been hit in the front.

The squeaking is probably from belt or a pulley. This is about the weather for belts to make noise. When you say too much cabin noise, what kind of noise? loud engine? You could have a fan clutch locked up, making a lot of wind noise, adding strain on your water pump and making your belt squeak. If it fails, you are looking at a new radiator.

Do you have a local mechanic you trust?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Team Owner

Pay for a Carfax report, its $20 and it will tell you if it has been in a accident.

But I agree that it sounds like it was.

www.cartalk.com, find the "Mechaninx Files" link, enter your zip code and recommended shops will come up.
www.angieslist.com is another one but that is a pay site.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Drifting

Carfax came out clean. There were no accidents reported on the Carfax. Not saying it wasn't in one...just wasn't reported to Carfax. What's a girl to do in that situation?

I don't have a local mechanic that I trust - hence me asking you guys if you know of someone in the 703 area code.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

How far away is this other LR dealer?
Take it over to them with fresh baked brownies and talk to them and see if they will help you out.
They could always send the other dealer the bill.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Giverny
I called these guys http://www.loudounrover.com/ for a driveshaft quote. They advertise on this forum. They are about 30 minutes from me. They quoted me $500 parts and labor to replace the driveshaft.

Anyone have other recommendations for a reliable mechanic in Northern Virginia (area code 703)?

Thanks guys.
First, based on the fact that you haven't done any front drive shaft work yet, it needs to be done and could very easily fix one of your problems.
Why not save $150 and order a new Tom Wood drive shaft and install it your self? I get worried when people buy used/rebuilt or new Chins made shafts cause they do fail.
You could replace yours out on the drive way in 20 or so minutes.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Drifting

[quote=Spike555;167663]Pay for a Carfax report, its $20 and it will tell you if it has been in a accident.

But I agree that it sounds like it was.

Just a word of discouragement CARFAX does not always have all information. They only can publish what is reported. Not all states have the same reporting criteria Illinois is very lienient. My father in law has a clean CARFAX report but his vehicle was almost totaled from a rental agency in Illinois. My father in law tried to trade his car into CARMAX and found out the real story behind his car. They actually refused to take it. My car was in a minor accident and there is not any thing on CARFAX either. One advantage to CARFAX is if you do what I do and publish the major work that has been done that information will surface when a report is run.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Drifting

One thing I'll say about these forums, you certainly learn a lot!

The other dealers are like 5 minutes away.

I think I have a game plan forming in my head!

It involves Twitter, a blog, Facebook and LRNA. Should be fun! Will keep you guys posted!!

Quick Reply: Squeaky noise 2004 Discovery