Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squelching sound from around gear shift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 08:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squelching sound from around gear shift?

My 2002 TD5 has a squelching sound coming from, I think the gear shift area but it’s hard to tell if it’s transferring from somewhere around the low range shift maybe.
Now this has been a thing for 18 months, but it seems to be a bit louder, but maybe I’m a little more paranoid now.
Ive just had a newer gearbox fitted from a slave vehicle I bought, the sound was happening with old box too, so unlikely to be gearbox itself.
Its a very liquid sounding squelching sound, not a squeaky sound. It’s definitely a weird one.
Unfortunately my mech is away until the 4th January, so I thought I would pick the brains of you good people.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Is the noise continuous and happens when in neutral while engine running, or only while driving, or while clutch is disengaged, or clutch engaged only, or increases with road speed, or have you checked belts, fluid levels or have you changed fluid levels lately and looked for odd debris?

Old 12-28-2021, 10:42 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Is the noise continuous and happens when in neutral while engine running, or only while driving, or while clutch is disengaged, or clutch engaged only, or increases with road speed, or have you checked belts, fluid levels or have you changed fluid levels lately and looked for odd debris?
Hi TD and thanks for your input 👍
To be honest I never noticed too much while driving… it made the sound it seemed at low movement in first and maybe second, I didn’t think much about it, knowing the gearbox I had inherited was to swapped out at some point, I just took it was that making the noise. It doesn’t increase in volume by speed. I might add it’s a auto. All belts and fluids are good, with the coolant and thermostat just being replaced.
But I did something I haven’t done before, when I got to work I just revved the engine a bit in park, and I could hear the sound behind the engine noise, which now leads me to thinking it’s could be something completely different. I wonder if it could be something behind the dashboard, maybe the heater core. The sound is like squelching water, although quite mechanical sounding if that makes sense.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Sounds like you may need to bleed the cooling system. When cooling system gets low on coolant, heater core is known to get air trapped inside and you get a "waterfall" type of noise. Usually have to raise coolant resevior and fill, bleeding system at bleeder/tee.

Last edited by The Deputy; 12-29-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:37 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Sounds like you may need to bleed the cooling system. When cooling system gets low on coolant, heater core is known to get air trapped inside and you get a "waterfall" type of noise. Usually have to raise coolant resevior and fill, bleeding system at bleeder/tee.
That makes sense TD, especially where the noise appears to have been originating from.
It actually started to over heat a few days back, with some rather unpleasant sounding noises from within. It doesn’t bode well, but the mechanic I use is still away until 10th.
I will update this when we have gathered enough information.
Cheers