Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS light will not go out:

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default SRS light will not go out:

My 2000 Disco2 V8 SD has a constant SRS light; I checked the compartment fuse and it is good...any other relay or a location for another fuse that could prevent it from going off?

thanks

Doc

Old 09-08-2018, 11:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Check the harness plugs under the seats, i think they are yellow. Unplug and clean, replug. This cleared up my SRS light

Old 09-09-2018, 01:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

All the steering wheel buttons work?

Old 09-09-2018, 11:39 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

SRS fault is due to either the short circuit in the airbag system or in the seat belt pre-tensionser system. I have a Nanocom which will diagnose and confirm one of the two.

As Saturine suggested, you can always clean out the contacts in the seat belt pre-tensionser system first. If the SRS light persists, it is most likely a short circuit in the airbag system. A common fault is the rotary coupler in the steering wheel. I do off-road wheeling often. I have had to change the rotary coupler twice, possibly due to constant vibration which seems to create short circuits in the rotary coupler mechanism.

Note: this is a safety system fault. You can't simply erase the fault using an OBD reader and make it go away. It will come back right away if the problem is not fixed. Also DISCONNECT the battery before starting any work to make sure the airbag does not inadvertently go off.

Some videos to help you...

Seat belt tensioner:

Rotary coupler:

Good luck!

Last edited by acg; 09-09-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I've seen several D2's where the wiring under the seats was knicked/cut and shorting out against the seat frame as well.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

If you are changing the air bags then treat them carefully as they can go off without warning. The air bags should be changed every 10 years or thereabouts. Also the steering wheel rotary coupler may be defective causing the air bag faults.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:14 PM
Mudding

Outstanding information!

Thanks for the videos!

I will check these connections.

someone asked if the buttons on my steering wheel worked....

the horn works; but the cruise control does not; there is an aftermarket radio so the stereo buttons do not work either (although I have a thread asking about that).

thanks

Doc

Old 10-11-2018, 03:43 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by acg
SRS fault is due to either the short circuit in the airbag system or in the seat belt pre-tensionser system. I have a Nanocom which will diagnose and confirm one of the two.

As Saturine suggested, you can always clean out the contacts in the seat belt pre-tensionser system first. If the SRS light persists, it is most likely a short circuit in the airbag system. A common fault is the rotary coupler in the steering wheel. I do off-road wheeling often. I have had to change the rotary coupler twice, possibly due to constant vibration which seems to create short circuits in the rotary coupler mechanism.

Note: this is a safety system fault. You can't simply erase the fault using an OBD reader and make it go away. It will come back right away if the problem is not fixed. Also DISCONNECT the battery before starting any work to make sure the airbag does not inadvertently go off.

Some videos to help you...

Seat belt tensioner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NHUK-34tJU

Rotary coupler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl3HeZX0aag

Good luck!
neither of the air bags, not the one I removed, nor the one I replaced it with, had that slot noted in the video.

one of them did have a small circle indentation but no slot.

Anyone have any commentary to add to or explain this?

p.s.

the change of the air bag did not remove the SRS light...so now I am left with the assumption that it is the clock spring. Yet, the horns work, and the cruise control works. The radio controls do not, but that is because the aftermarket raisin wasn’t connected to the steering wheel...this is why I have a hard time believing the clock spring needs replacing; but what else could it be?

Doc

Old 10-11-2018, 05:01 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ReconDoc83

neither of the air bags, not the one I removed, nor the one I replaced it with, had that slot noted in the video.

one of them did have a small circle indentation but no slot.

Anyone have any commentary to add to or explain this?

p.s.

the change of the air bag did not remove the SRS light...so now I am left with the assumption that it is the clock spring. Yet, the horns work, and the cruise control works. The radio controls do not, but that is because the aftermarket raisin wasn’t connected to the steering wheel...this is why I have a hard time believing the clock spring needs replacing; but what else could it be?

Doc

I had a SRS error light a couple of months ago. The Nanocom showed an error code related to "airbag circuit short". It was helpful to have the Nancocom identify the specific SRS section which has the short circuit, i.e., airbag circuit or seat belt pre-tensioner circuit.

The first hunch was the rotary coupler. We replaced it and the error did not go away. (Note: you can't simply clear away error codes for safety systems. The error light will only go away after the short circuit is fixed and full circuit path is restored).

It turned out to be a faulty SRS ECU. A used ECU replacement fixed the problem. Hope this helps.

Last edited by acg; 10-11-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

You need to read the SRS system codes to find out what it's trying to tell you. You'll never fix the issue without doing this.

Quick Reply: SRS light will not go out: