Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting front end work, need guidance

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 03:22 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Starting front end work, need guidance

I have a 2004 Disco, 83k, body and engine are great, but a lot of rust do to it sitting. I'm starting with the front end as I'm getting a lot of swaying, mechanic said I'll need to replace control arm and inner outer tie rods. Can anyone recommend what else I should look to change while I'm down there.

Thank you all!

Stefan

Old 01-08-2021, 04:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

Control arm? Do you mean pitman arm? Other than the rust what drivability issues do you have?

Old 01-09-2021, 03:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

You need a new mechanic...there are no control arms or inner tie-rod ends...only a right and left. Vehicles with rack and pinion have inner and outer tie-rods...and you don't have that. You have a steering gearbox, pitman arn, drag-link, steering stabilizer shock, ball-joints (upper and lower), tie-rod bar and ends that make up your steering components. You also have suspension components that can also affect steering geometry, such as panhard/track rod, springs, shocks and radius arm bushings.

Now, just for reference only...the british uses different terms for some of these components. For instance...they call tie-rod ends ball joints, they call the tie-bar a track bar...and so on and so on. So, it can get a bit confusing ordering parts or talking to different techs/mechanics about items needed. Odds are, you go to a general repair facility...they will use American terms...british specialty shop...most-likely british terms.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stefanas
I have a 2004 Disco, 83k, body and engine are great, but a lot of rust do to it sitting. I'm starting with the front end as I'm getting a lot of swaying, mechanic said I'll need to replace control arm and inner outer tie rods. Can anyone recommend what else I should look to change while I'm down there.

Thank you all!

Stefan
The front end is pretty stupid easy.

You mentioned rust check the rear frame welds before you waste your money, if it's rotted out it will need to be addressed

Old 01-09-2021, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by stefanas

Thank you all!

Stefan
The front end is pretty stupid easy.

You mentioned rust check the rear frame welds before you waste your money, if it's rotted out it will need to be addressed.

Apart from front end, jackup the truck and check for play in the front end

Old 01-10-2021, 11:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 428 Likes on 272 Posts

If you don't have 'big tools' - like long breaker bars, big torque wrenches, sockets in the 19-30mm range, 1/2" drive things, you should get some. Working on the disco's suspension will be infinitely easier with them. It's indeed a very simple suspension system to work on, but some of those big bolts benefit from lots of leverage... that beast of a bolt holding the radius arm to the frame, for example.