Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State of the Disco - where we at on long term plays?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

If anything, mint condition 04s will be the most valuable as they're the last model year and the most sought after. But I seriously doubt they'll ever fetch 80k or something like that. I seem them peaking at 30-40k for a mint one in the years to come. NAS defenders are also valuable in the US as they're easier to insure, they all came with US titles so you can insure them in any state without an issue compared to an imported one which has to go through inspections and regulations and whatnot. They also came with the V8 and the last model year came with an automatic, plus collectors like scarcity, it doesn't matter if the truck sucks or is worse than a comparable discovery or p38.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

No, they aren’t correct. 7000 in all. But my point still holds water. Because NAS Defenders were scarce from the beginning enthusiasts cared about them (demand). Enthusiast never cared about P38’s because they were everywhere, they may not be today but that doesn’t really matter because people still don’t care( no demand).

Old 04-21-2024, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Discos values have already bottomed and headed up. Lots have been crushed due to the legendary engine issues. Used to be 2-3 in every upullit yard in SC/NC 5-10 years ago, now very rare they get one. I think less than half of the original production are still on the road and at least half of those are in loving hands. As someone said clapped out trash will always be clapped out trash, but lots of people now value them for the future classics they are. Jeep made a ton of CJ's and Wagoneers, Toyota made a ton of Land Cruisers and FJ's and they are now increasing in value. Good restored examples of D2s are $15-20 now, going up. Believe it or not there are some people for whom the D2 are a dream vehicle (some people were too young to ever see a NAS Defender) and with NAS Defenders going to the moon the D2 will be the affordable classic. My forecast will be a 5-10 increase in value per year from here, take care of the ones you have! Good ones will be harder and harder to come by due to the rusting frames on the midwestern/NE ones.

The following users liked this post:
ahab (04-22-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 07:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 428 Likes on 272 Posts

Big time agreed with @Extinct Anecdotally, same, the junk yard here used to reliably have at least one disco at all times any time I needed a part. It was so consistent that I didn't feel much need to keep a stash of rare spare parts (headlights, etc). Now though, I think they got just one last year and there still has yet to be a disco appearance for 2024. Scarcity is a big part of the value equation and if junkyards are one conduit for measuring it, they're getting scarce quickly.

Popularity and vitality are sort of the other part of the value equation and yeah, that definitely hasn't happened in the same way it has with the Defender. But it can happen in an instant and unpredictably. Just takes an appearance in the right film, the right celebrity's garage, etc.

I would never buy a Disco as an investment. And TBH I don't know if prices could ever get high enough to consider selling ours. But it's a fun experiment to at least argue a bit about where the Disco market currently stands. Always fun seeing vehicles that were once massed produced and relegated to the more disposable part of the spectrum get adopted by enthusiast groups and cared for.

If that ever happens at scale to the Disco, I wouldn't hate having some NLA items reproduced again due to demand.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

The amount of NLA plastics for the disco make it such a tough truck to restore fully imo. But maybe one day they'll be worth a ton or something. LCs while plentiful, are much more limited in numbers compared to the rest of the yota lineup. Plus a lot of them get abused and destroyed doing off road stuff or salt belt dailys. You don't see many modded ones (maybe except during covid) go for big money. Its mostly low mile, stock examples which are few and far between these days. Much like discos in that regard too though I suppose.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:14 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Discos values have already bottomed and headed up. Lots have been crushed due to the legendary engine issues. Used to be 2-3 in every upullit yard in SC/NC 5-10 years ago, now very rare they get one. I think less than half of the original production are still on the road and at least half of those are in loving hands. As someone said clapped out trash will always be clapped out trash, but lots of people now value them for the future classics they are. Jeep made a ton of CJ's and Wagoneers, Toyota made a ton of Land Cruisers and FJ's and they are now increasing in value. Good restored examples of D2s are $15-20 now, going up. Believe it or not there are some people for whom the D2 are a dream vehicle (some people were too young to ever see a NAS Defender) and with NAS Defenders going to the moon the D2 will be the affordable classic. My forecast will be a 5-10 increase in value per year from here, take care of the ones you have! Good ones will be harder and harder to come by due to the rusting frames on the midwestern/NE ones.
I'm in the D2 is my dream car group. Well, it turned into it. At the time we had a blue LR3 and a tan D2 (my pfp), and we joined/helped found Northern California Land Rovers club in 2006. After several trips Hollister Hills SRVA and exploring areas such as Shaver Lake and Pinecrest I fell in love with off-roading and the D2. A few years back the head gaskets blew on the D2 and my dad was going to junk it. He loved driving it but didn't want to shell out 3k to fix it at the local LR shop. At the time I was 16 and had just gotten my license and wanted a car. Naturally for my age I had little money and asked my dad if I could fix the car and keep it. He loved the idea as he wanted to keep the car but didn't want to do the labor. So from a Youtube video and various forums I learned how the fix the head gaskets. From there I became the family mechanic fixing any LR problems and the family's collect grew to 4 rovers (2x LR3, D2, LR4). Bringing it to college and going to car meets and wheeling trips I found a lot of people had interest in the D2s, and even had some mechanical engineering friends start looking for them as a future project car. Most of the trails are packed with Jeeps and a surprising amount of Toyotas, meaning the D2 sticks out like a sore thumb. When they see the articulation and performance off road people come up to me and ask about the car. Many people on the trail ask what it is and comment on the safari look and the offset solid axles. Their uniqueness to me gives them personally that many other jeeps and some Toyotas don't have. On social media you can find hundred and possibly thousands of account and posts showing off and talking about jeeps, and quite a few of Toyotas. But not as many for Land Rovers and more specifically D2s. I don't think many will buy them but the niche attention I see them get may impact the value over time. But then again, some see and comment how the D2s is "the poor mans Defender" which personally I get a kick out of. Now this is all from a young person who's only had experience with LR's and therefore view is heavily biased.

The following 5 users liked this post by rikkd:
ahab (04-24-2024), greisinb (04-22-2024), hasullivan (04-22-2024), jastutte (04-22-2024), whowa004 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 01:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by rikkd
Now this is all from a young person who's only had experience with LR's and therefore view is heavily biased.
i'm okay with a biased perspective when it's also the correct perspective.

whowa004 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 01:57 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Guess I should run for president! Free D2s for all!

Richard Gallant (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 10:17 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

I’d vote for you!

rikkd (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 02:57 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
I agree with this. While I would never buy one with the idea of it being an investment, I do think the good ones need to be taken care of from this point, especially no rust, original paint examples.