Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Steering Box

Does anyone have suggestions where to purchase a refurbished unit? Mine is leaking significantly from the top nut. Plus, there's a lot of play. I've already "tightened" up the slop once. Probably, why it's leaking now...

I Googled and came across all different websites offering various pricing - my head is spinning.

I'm looking for someone with first hand experience that can help guide me.

Thanks.

Last edited by coors; 10-14-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by coors
Does anyone have suggestions where to purchase a refurbished unit? Mine is leaking significantly from the top nut. Plus, there's a lot of play. I've already "tightened" up the slop once. Probably, why it's leaking now...

I Googled and came across all different websites offering various pricing - my head is spinning.

I'm looking for someone with first hand experience that can help guide me.

Thanks.
I have a leak at the adjustment nut on top of the box. Is there a seal under the adjustment locking nut that's easily replaceable?

Hoping to get down to my parts truck to dissect and experiment on it's steering box to get the answer.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
I have a leak at the adjustment nut on top of the box. Is there a seal under the adjustment locking nut that's easily replaceable?

Hoping to get down to my parts truck to dissect and experiment on it's steering box to get the answer.
Coors, AFAIK there is no seal on the adjusting nut and screw. It would appear from RAVE there are differences between the diesel and V8 steering boxes. RAVE is Section 57.

Checkout the UK suppliers for steering boxes as the GBP vs the $ is weak at present so maybe pick up a good deal. LR Direct seem good on prices.

Land Rover Discovery 2 Steering Box Power | John Craddock Ltd

https://www.google.fr/search?q=QAF50...hrome&ie=UTF-8

PS I'm gobsmacked at the price for an LR genuine box

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 10-15-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Coors, AFAIK there is no seal on the adjusting nut and screw. It would appear from RAVE there are differences between the diesel and V8 steering boxes. RAVE is Section 57.

Checkout the UK suppliers for steering boxes as the GBP vs the $ is weak at present so maybe pick up a good deal. LR Direct seem good on prices.

Land Rover Discovery 2 Steering Box Power John Craddock Ltd

https://www.google.fr/search?q=QAF50...hrome&ie=UTF-8

PS I'm gobsmacked at the price for an LR genuine box
France, thanks for the Help.

I've chatted with Paul G. - decided to source a used box from him. Price is right, can't go wrong. If it only lasts a few years then, I'll reassess.

Agreed, The price for a new box is absurdly outrageous. I gues that is the economics of supply and demand...