Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering box leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering box leak!!

So I got up this morning to find a pool of power steering fluid under my car. I cleaned the steering box, drop arm and drag link, topped off the fluid and drove the truck around for a few minutes. When I came back and checked again, I could see the fluid is coming out of where the steering box attaches to the drop arm, and then running down to where the drop arm attaches to the drag link. Does the steering box have seals that can be replaced, or do I need a whole new unit? I see AB has them for $800 with a new drop arm. That's a bit outrageous. Are there remanufactured units I could get for cheaper, or perhaps hit the junk yard? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default i think so

Search the forum as i remember a guy on here who rebuilt them. I will look threw my links..

Chris

Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most of the time the leak is actualy coming down from powersteering pump. It's really hard to see it but, it's much more common then the steering box.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cleaned the pump, the box, the drop arm and the drag link before taking it for a spin, and when I came back there was no power steering fluid anywhere but at the bottom of the box where the drop arm connects to it. The drop arm connects to a cylinder via torx bolt, and then that cylinder goes inside another cylinder that is physically part of the box. The leak is coming from somewhere in between the two cylinders, inside the box. I assume there must be a seal there which has worn out. I've never seen a steering gear box wear out, and my first instinct was that the pump was leaking, but I checked all the hoses and the pump, and see no sign of leakage. Right now, there is a good amount of leakage, much more than I've ever seen with a leaking ps pump. I found some refurbed steering gear boxes on ebay, and contacted a member who may have some used ones, and I'm going to do the install next sunday. I did some research on the internet, and it seems many people have trouble separating the drop arm from the box. The RAVE refers to "Using LRT-57-036, break taper joint and
release drag link." Does anybody have an LRT-57-036? It looks like a funny kind of puller, but I've read that most conventional pullers will not do the trick. I've even read that the drop arm is so secured to the steering box that it broke some guys hydraulic press as he tried to separate the two. Any advice/tricks of the trade would be awesome as I prepare to get b@lls deep in my truck replacing the steering gear box.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid leak

Hello, I have a Disco II with 120,000mi, I have read through the threads about power steering pumps and boxes. My Disco just started leaking a bunch and makes a whirring noise on cold start ups that goes away after about 10 min. I just had the car in the shop and they told me that my high pressure line from the pump is going and that to replace it they had to take the bumper off to get to it. Does that make sense? How hard is it to take the pump off and replace it. And how do I release the serpentine belt?Thanks in advance for your advice.

2003 Disco II 120,000mi, Heads resealed at 113,000mi
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
1966 Austin Healey 3000
1974 Norton 850 Commando