Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Box Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts
Default Steering Box Replacement

My steering box is leaking a lot. I was going to buy a used steering box and stick it in. Anybody know of a good procedure for removing the old and installing the new?

Old 01-19-2021, 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 181 Likes on 114 Posts

If your going to go through the effort to replace it, I would recommend using a rebuilt unit verses a used one.
$360 isn't bad for piece of mind: https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/...Box/82-00518_R

The following users liked this post:
ahab (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 08:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 181 Likes on 114 Posts

You probably should download a copy of the RAVE, it's good to have.
Here is the section on removing and refitting the steering box.
Let us know how it turns out.

Attached Files
Old 01-20-2021, 08:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks - I have a copy - printed and bound. Was hoping someone might have a youtube video or something a bit more visual.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

It's extremely straight forward. The biggest hassle was the 4 main mounting bolts, they require some muscle. Also, despite using the centering bolt in the box itself my steering wheel is cocked a few degrees due to misaligning it with the steering shaft. Three times... The box is quite heavy and a bit of a PITA to fumble around with as you line it up but you'd do well to pay close attention to that bit before tightening the 4 bolts. Because of the clockspring it's not as easy and yanking the wheel off to rotate it a few splines, you have to do that where the shaft couples to the box. That piece is removable to so that theoretically you don't have to unbolt the entire box however the upper hardware on mine was so corroded I didn't bother trying. That's something I REALLY wish I had addressed when I had the engine out. The hydraulic fittings are WYSIWYG.

Thanks for the link to the rebuilt box. My new truck may need a box and I'll definitely go that route.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:10 AM
TReK
Received 514 Likes on 445 Posts

ahab you should be able to correct your steering wheel angle with an adjustment to your track rod, the rod that goes from your Pitman Arm to the wheel.

The following users liked this post:
T-rex (02-01-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:13 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Harvlr
ahab you should be able to correct your steering wheel angle with an adjustment to your track rod, the rod that goes from your Pitman Arm to the wheel.
I've attempted that with PB Blaster and a giant pipe wrench (after loosening the clamps) and no go. It needs heat.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ahab
It's extremely straight forward. The biggest hassle was the 4 main mounting bolts, they require some muscle. Also, despite using the centering bolt in the box itself my steering wheel is cocked a few degrees due to misaligning it with the steering shaft. Three times... The box is quite heavy and a bit of a PITA to fumble around with as you line it up but you'd do well to pay close attention to that bit before tightening the 4 bolts. Because of the clockspring it's not as easy and yanking the wheel off to rotate it a few splines, you have to do that where the shaft couples to the box. That piece is removable to so that theoretically you don't have to unbolt the entire box however the upper hardware on mine was so corroded I didn't bother trying. That's something I REALLY wish I had addressed when I had the engine out. The hydraulic fittings are WYSIWYG.

Thanks for the link to the rebuilt box. My new truck may need a box and I'll definitely go that route.
Thanks Ahab. I keep going back and forth on rebuilt versus used. Conventional wisdom suggests that many of the rebuilt units aren't. Used one with no leaks is ~$200.

@Sixpack577 What say you on the steering box? I know you rebuilt yours with a kit. Worth it or not?

Old 01-20-2021, 12:49 PM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab
I've attempted that with PB Blaster and a giant pipe wrench (after loosening the clamps) and no go. It needs heat.
I was taught never to use heat near any steering components. Messes with the metal crystal structures and potentially causes weak spots.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:54 PM
Pro Wrench

I was not excited to try it myself, and as a result have driven with a slightly ****-eyed steering wheel for about 10k miles. I'm simply not undoing that steering box connection a 4th time. I used a 2' pipe wrench with my foot and could not get it to budge. Maybe if I get it up in the air and can get an extension on it.

Last edited by ahab; 01-20-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering Box Replacement