Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 PM
nac
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering clunk

This is driving me nuts... hope someone have an insight.

Notice steering clunk while DII is standing still and just by clocking the steering wheel all the way to the left, there is a clunk, turn it back a couple inches and turn it all the way to the left again, there the clunk.

Crawl under the truck, find out noticeable play on the drag link ball joint. Order new drag link with new ball joint. Replace it, there the clunk again !!!

Crawl under the truck, pushing and pulling everything that I could. Doesn't seem to find anything else was loose.

Anyone???

Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

everything else with the knuckle looked fine? without adequate membrane/bushings, their captures wear.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Take a look at you lower ball joints, I have one that is starting to cause a clunk.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:25 PM
nac
4wd Low
Talking

Finally, I think I got it. Its the track rod. Both ball joints was very loose at both end. I can't replica the noise under the truck while checking at it. So I decided to change it out and that was it.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nac
Finally, I think I got it. Its the track rod. Both ball joints was very loose at both end. I can't replica the noise under the truck while checking at it. So I decided to change it out and that was it.
Congrats on finding the problem. I have the same issue with mine when I cut the steering wheel hard. I've replaced both rods with the HD TF kit and I'm still clunking. I'm a little jealous right now.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:43 AM
nac
4wd Low

ah... said it too soon

Still clunk! SOB

Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 PM
nac
4wd Low

I spend another couple of hours today to try to narrow down the problem. It seems like it's coming from the steering box.

First, I was banging under the truck and trying to move everything with my hand looking for play. There is a 1/8" play on the steering arm connecting the drag link. So I adjusted the top nut. No more play.

So go for a test drive, when going thru speed bump, the driver side front wheel area still don't feel right, and even without the clunk, I can feel the steering isn't right.

Disconnect the drag link and have my wife turning the steering wheel, I was under the truck and there is the clunk on the steering arm even-though nothing is attached to it.

So I am about 80% sure that it's the steering box.

Advice anyone? And if I have to replace the steering box, go with a new one or rebuilt? It's like $400 different.

Thanks,

Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by nac
I spend another couple of hours today to try to narrow down the problem. It seems like it's coming from the steering box.

First, I was banging under the truck and trying to move everything with my hand looking for play. There is a 1/8" play on the steering arm connecting the drag link. So I adjusted the top nut. No more play.

So go for a test drive, when going thru speed bump, the driver side front wheel area still don't feel right, and even without the clunk, I can feel the steering isn't right.

Disconnect the drag link and have my wife turning the steering wheel, I was under the truck and there is the clunk on the steering arm even-though nothing is attached to it.

So I am about 80% sure that it's the steering box.

Advice anyone? And if I have to replace the steering box, go with a new one or rebuilt? It's like $400 different.

Thanks,

Ever make in progress on this? Please tell me yes! I'm so tired of my clunk.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Someone on discoweb pointed out this TSB:

http://www.landroverclubvi.com/uploa...correction.pdf

Old 11-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Winching

Thanks jafir I'll check that out but I don't think that's my issue. I'm getting a bit of steering wheel jerk at times when hitting rough spots in the road and I feel like that is related to my knock/clunk somehow.