Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering gearbox leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:49 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Steering gearbox leak

"All of those with D1's DO NOT PUT LUCAS POWER STEERING ADDITIVE INTO YOUR RESERVOIR. Use the ATF treatment. "

Before I read that statement I called Lucas and was told to use the PS stop leak. I explained the fact that L/R Disco I's use automatic trans fluid in their PS system. Nontheless, I was told to use the PS stop leak.

Anyone have any further thoughts.

Thanks.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

PS fluid has a higher viscosity than ATF, and unless the stop leak is the same formulation for both transmission and Power steering, I would still say use the ATF treatment.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:22 AM
4wd Low

Makes sense to me. However I have since learned that Valvoline now makes their Max Life ATF with a stop leak additive already mixed in. The guy at Valvoline assurred me that that product (#VV324) was just the ticket for my P/S situation. I plan to give it a try.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I just replied in aolder thread because I didn't see this one. My 98 isleaking at the input shaft seal. It's not even close to being a seep. As soon as you top off the reservoir, it will spit and bubble out the input shaft seal.

I was also thinking the same think, is there a rebuild kit availalbe and has anyone ever rebuild theirs. If a kit is availble, would that be from AB?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC2847.cfm

How much play do you have? I don't think they are too hard to re-build, but there is one on E-bay that is rebuilt, guaranteed for under $300 with a $150 core...

Old 03-14-2008, 10:43 AM
4wd Low

If you ask the guys at AB about their seal kit, I think they'll tell you that if the leak is from the sector shaft areadon't wasteyour time or money on the kit. At least that's what they told me.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: GeoC

If you ask the guys at AB about their seal kit, I think they'll tell you that if the leak is from the sector shaft areadon't wasteyour time or money on the kit. At least that's what they told me.
You must be psychic, that's exactly what the AB rep told me 1hr ago.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought a 'guaranteed with warranty and refund' power steering box and power steering pump for $150, including shipping from a guy on ebay. He owns a parts store and is parting out a 95 disco right now (same year as mine). I've ordered alot of parts from him because he is cheap. But yah he tests EVERYTHING before he ships it out and offers 30 day warranty on parts not labor, of course ...

I have a leak somewhere, i'm gonna pinpoint from either box/hose/pump. I bought these because I knew how expensive they were anywhere else. Always good to have parts.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Rock Crawling

So I just got my steering box rebuild kit from AB.

With my CD service manualI also just got, I'mready to disassemble the box.The manual is pretty detail and I feel confident enough to do the job.

Since it's my input shaft seal that's leaking, I'm going to remove those seals first. If those seals appear to be damage/torn, then I'll change those seals aloneand see what happens. But if I can't see any obvious reason why the seals are leaking, then I'll continue to disasemble the box.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Today I finally had a chance to rebuild my steering box. Overall it wasn't a hard job. I had to make due with not having the specialty tools. Here are a few misc rebuild pics.

While pressing the pitman arm off, I damage the threads on the sector shaft. This pic was taken after I repaired the threads

The only worn part of the box was on the worn gear where the ball bearing rides.It's hard to tell in the before and after pic, but i cleaned it up as best as possible and went with it.
Before

After

The trickiest part of the rebuild was aligning the piston gear and sector shaft properly. I took the box apart twice because I couldn't get it correct, but I was able to get it.

The following users liked this post:
Phidol (11-04-2014)

Quick Reply: Steering gearbox leak