Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering issue

I've been trying to search for this issue, but it is coming up fruitless. I saw it mentioned before but can't find it. Here goes:

2003 disco 60k miles. When I hit a bump on the highway(which is pretty common in KY!)the steering has a tendancy to jump to the left or right a little. I think it isa commonsteering problem where the tires go in the air a little, you keep the wheel straight, however the tires are landing at a slight turn. On one bridge yesterday, I drove over a 3 inch gap that is at a 30 degree or so angle on the road. My tires caught this gap andthey turned towards the right hand wall . Scared the **** out of me. I'm not certain that the steering wheel is moving with the tires when it does this.

My power steering pump seems excessively loud. I don't have another disco nearby to listen to. Perhaps it is not pumping as strong as it should? I'm a big time newbie with this stuff. Steering I'm afraid to touch so I'll probably leave it to a shop, I just want to get a handle on it first.

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Steering issue

Two issues, you need a new steering stabilizer, Old Man Emu is the best.
When did you last flush you power steering, would suggest you do that and add a bottle of Lucas power steering additive to the system before your pump fails.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Mudding

Yep, I just found a thread on landroversonly.com where you addressed another individual with the same problem, and the steering stabilizer was the glaring candidate. That's going to be my starting point.

I flushed my power steering when I talked to you on the phone last, although I want to redo it because I'm not sure how thorough I did the job. I added some stabilizer also.

Thanks again Mike.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that a big steering shock will help but I had an issue with a DII exactly like this, at highway speeds hitting big bumps or bridge splits the cars steering wheel jumped or shook like mad,and wouldnt stop until the car slowed down.I looked at all the common stuff,shocks ,steering shock,tie rod ends etc and found nothing.
I finally focused on the steering box, didnt feel loose , the common top adjuster screw adjustment to get rid of play in the wheel.was properly adjusted, BUT the rack adjuster on the side of the box adjusts the tightness of the big gear in the box,(I used to rebuild these boxes all the time back in the 80's).I simply loosened the small allen set screw and turned the giant adjuster until it felt tight , then backed it off slightly, if its too tight the steering wont return to center.this can cause a leak here because the rack adjuster only has a flat o-ring seal,and I dont think you can get the seal kit anymore. But might be worth a try.
another choice is to just change out the whole steering box

Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Mudding

Thanks Duk, I'll put that in the brain housing group if the problem keeps carrying on after I change out this shock. It doesn't keep doing it after the bump though, it will stop as soon as I'm back on a smooth surface.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You might want to call me again, I think you miss under stood how I suggested you flush the power steering.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Mudding

Probably did. It did not seem as though I could get alot of the old fluid out. I'll definitely be in touch, I want to run my process for this cooling overhaul I'm doing by you also.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disco Mike,

What is the best way to flush the power steering system. I'm having the same problems that I've been reading about with leaks. Just bought the '98 Disco with 123k miles. I've heard of taking a baster and sucking out the resevoir, refilling, running a couple days and doing it again and adding Lucas.

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 97 power steering pump was leaking around the suction fitting. I first thought it was the hose from the reservoir and replaced that. The suction fitting is just pressed in and has an o-ring on it to seal it. I pulled out the fitting, replaced the o-ring and put a dab of black RTV on it and it looks like the leak went away. Just thought someone might want to know that before spending the big bucks on a new PS pump to fix the leak.

marv