Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door locking issue and radio button issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locking issue and radio button issue

having a few issues with my new disco. i searched and found a possible answer for two and nothing for the other.

first issue is the door locks. all doors lock fine with the remote but the key will only unlock the driver door and the central locking button will not unlock the others. there is something wrong with my keyfob with the unlock button (doesn't feel like there is anything below the button) so i haven't been able to test that. i am guessing this is related to the drivers side lock mechanism? what exactly needs replacing, the whole unit?

secondly, my stock radio had been working fine since i got it but a couple days ago i started having an issue. the radio comes on with the vehicle ignition fine (backlight and all) and it is set on a radio station (unfortunately one barely out of range so i get equal parts music and static) but not a single button works on it. i cannot change stations, turn it off, or anything. the steering wheel controls also don't work. any ideas?

thirdly, my drivers seat was a little sketchy when i got it and a few days after i got it i had to lean across the vehicle to unlock a door and the seat collapsed. i looked under it and can see a motor broken. i am fairly sure it is the one that controls the up and down movement of the front of the seat. any tips on what the motor looks like so i can order a new one? thanks.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

Having similar issue:

Key lock will lock but not unlock all 5 doors, dash switch will neither lock or unlock any doors (though I do initially hear clicking sound?) but, mechanically, all door handles work fine. My key remote "bubbles" are blown out on the key and have been since i bought it, 4 months ago. Any ideas and what's the most economical key replacement opportunity?

thanx for any info

Gettin me lil sweetheart (2001 Disco II SE7) ready for one-way trek from Charleston, SC to Fairbanks, AK May 1st.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Three Wheeling

anybody?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Seat info attached, if salvage yard nearby a whole seat is like $25. Or one of our dismantlers on the forum. D1 and D2 seats not the same.

Door lock has two switch units, and signal the BCU, which controls central locking. The interior central lock button goes direct to the BCU (Body Control Unit). Rave electrical has lots of drawings for this, color coded. If you have to change BCU the ECU for the engine has to recognize it or truck might be immobilized. Not 100% sure if this is requires a trip to a programmer.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 seat base.pdf (849.7 KB, 75 views)
d2 seat pix.pdf (442.7 KB, 87 views)
d2 c0441.pdf (470.5 KB, 99 views)
d2 door lock wires.pdf (590.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 AM
4th Gear

Having a similar problem......PLEASE help...... I am experiencing a problem with the central locking. I will describe as fully as possible.
The Vehicle is a 2004 LR Discovery II TD5 Facelift model.
A short time ago, we had a little crash. It didn't render the vehicle un-drivable but did require an insurance claim to deal with the damage to the front of the vehicle. When the vehicle was repaired and returned to us, all seemed fine but soon after we noticed a problem with the locking. As foillows:
1. Locking fron the fob works perfectly
2. Locking at 5mph works perfectly
3. Locking from the dash switch works perfectly
4. Locking from the key works perfectly.
5. Unlocking from the fob, key or switch does not unlock the two rear doors
6. Unlocking from the fob, key or swith works for the two front doors and the tail-gate.

I have checked and re-checked the obvious issues and have concluded that I know nothing about car electrics. Using logic instead of ability in these matters, my opinions are as follows:
1. Cannot be an actuator as both doors malfunctioned at the same time;
2. Cannot be the tiny springs as both doors malfunctioned at the same time;
3. Cannot be a broken wire as both doors malfunctioned at the same time;
4. I have checked the child-locks but it can't be this as it is able to open from the inside using the handle !
I have changed the battery in the fob and have put WD40 in the door latch ???
PLEASE HELP. Unfortunately we have no easy way of getting to a LR Main Dealer as there isn't one within a three hour drive !!!!
I have brought it to a local mechanic who has plugged it into a diagnostic unit and no errors on the central locking are showing up.
Has anyone got any idea what I can do to fix the problem.
Thanks in advance