Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel audio controls...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:07 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel audio controls...

I got my Disco II a few months back and even with her problems I have fallen in love with her. My plan is to install a custom built android computer with 10 inch screen(this will have the works, GPS, Bluetooth for phone and ODB II reader, internet). I also intend to connect it to the steering wheel audio controls, there are a couple of ways there is to do this and if others are interested in having a blue tooth module they can install to it and use to connect to their phones I will take that route(will not work with factory radio). If there isnt much interest in it I will just make it one off so no worries there.

Also if anyone knows were to get the wiring diagram for the H/K radio system and or the wheel controls that would save me some reverse engineering time.

And if others are interested in the whole Android System setup I will be happy to post updates and how tos.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Three Wheeling

I'd be curious about your setup. Please keep this thread posted.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM
4wd Low

Ill be sure to keep you updated, some time this week I will post a basic parts list, a theory of operation and the scope of all the various projects needed.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-26-2013, 02:10 PM
4wd Low

nychaze,
Thanks for the information that will save be some time.
Since there is already a commercial product available for Bluetooth integration ill just build mine to my own specs.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:29 PM
4wd Low

As promised,

First the parts list:
Known Parts:

Odroid-XU:
This is the meat and potatoes. It will be running Android and connect to the GPS module, bluetooth module, an external hard drive and various custom hardware I plan to add in the future(more to come on this).
ODROID | Hardkernel

10 inch touch screen:
Pretty self explanatory. I know that going with a prebuilt tablet would be cheaper, but it would not have the customization options I am looking for.
ODROID | Hardkernel

Bluetooth Module:
Self Explanatory
ODROID | Hardkernel

Wifi Module:
Connects to my phone for internet access.
ODROID | Hardkernel

Unknown Parts:
GPS Reciever:
There are many of these designed to be used for PC so I will either have to make my own drivers for android or find one that is already compatible.

Camera:
I know I will eventually want to install a rear view camera, but I have not decided on the method of implementation. It could either be a custom android app initialized by the reverse switch or a screen override.

The interface to the controls with be done from an arduino connected via bluetooth, I am choosing an arduino because of my ability to expand its code in the future to possibly control lights and other ancillaries . I am very familiar with programming for the arduino and I have my feet wet for android but this will be my first project combining the two so this will be a learning experience.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pguerra75
I am choosing an arduino because of my ability to expand its code in the future to possibly control lights and other ancillaries . I am very familiar with programming for the arduino and I have my feet wet for android but this will be my first project combining the two so this will be a learning experience.
Damn. Lots of Chinese writing on those sites and now your writing codes for your D2. My brain is starting to hurt and there is goo coming out of my ears.

Where do you plan on mounting the screen and what will fill the void where the stock radio goes?

Good luck! I will be curious how all this is going to come together.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM
4wd Low

The screen will mount in front of were the radio goes, just above the AC controls(which eventually will be integrated, not for a while though). I will be building an articulating arm that will mount to the radio bay.

If I can manage to not take up to much space with the mechanics of the arm I will also be installing the CPU there for ease of wiring(I could wire it into the existing controls harness and the amp harness). The external hard drive will mount in the glove box, and the BT and Wifi modules will be in the compartment near the front dome light for best coverage.

The biggest set back at the moment is cash flow, currently a student on the GI bill budget :P I will likely buy the CPU next week to start designing the electrical interfaces and programming. But the screen is 250, so I will likely have to use a stand in(no touch comp monitor) till cash flow picks up.