Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023 | 07:00 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Steering whine

Is the only source of a power steering whine/groan the pump? I am getting a near constant noise that goes almost away with engine speed. I replaced the power steering pump a couple years ago, I think it was leaking. So I put in some blue devil, leak stopped but I wonder if it attached to the noise. It gets worse when turning.

would the rack make noise? Or is the pump the culprit?
I wonder if the reservoir filter is plugged and starving the pump? I'm thinking i will pull it apart tomorrow to see if that is an obvious problem.

Or if I just need to replace the pump and reservoir.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 02-19-2023 | 07:46 AM
Camel Trophy

Always the pump. You might try some lucas power steering sauce. Generally not a fan of additives, but that one I've had really good luck out of.

Old 02-19-2023 | 02:29 PM
TReK

And I think the additives only buy you time. My understanding is that they swell the seals which can stop the leak, but it also deteriorates all the seals in the system.

Old 02-19-2023 | 03:14 PM
Camel Trophy

I've heard the same, but only as hear-say. No evidence I've seen. I've run it for four years in my longest vehicle that's had it with no issues.

Old 02-19-2023 | 05:19 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

It stopped the leak, I think its the pump. I pulled the reservoir, it was jammed w black stuff. Cleaned it out the best I could and poked some holes in the filter, figuring it was getting replaced anyway. Its better, a bit quieter, but still not right.
I refllied it w Lucas, might be part of the reason it is better. But I think i need to replace the reservoir and the pump. PITA, just did the pump a couple years ago. I wonder if it is worth doing the hoses at this point.

Old 02-20-2023 | 11:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Modern polymers

Originally Posted by Harvlr
And I think the additives only buy you time. My understanding is that they swell the seals which can stop the leak, but it also deteriorates all the seals in the system.
Old style stop leaks used mineral spirits. They worked by swelling the rubber seals a bit, so they can cause harm. Newer additives use polymer ingredients which help soften a seal that has hardened and smooths rough spots to stop leaks. The actual ingredients depend on which brand you use. Some companies spell it out, so I tend to use those vs the top secret brands.

Using additives is a way to buy time, like Harv mentioned, until a real repair can be made, and sometimes they can last for years and years.

The following users liked this post:
Alex_M (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023 | 01:26 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Not sure if the two are related, but I put in fresh fluid and started bleeding it. and fluid GUSHED out from near the rack. It bled from the nipple fine, but poured out on to the ground. It looked to be coming from below the pump, so I am thinking it has to be the rack. Or maybe the hose to the rack. I think I need to start looking at the rebuild kit, or a reman unit. I would not be surprised if the Blue Devil destroyed the system somehow. Completely unfounded, but magnitude of failure in the rack seems unlikely to have been a gradual leak. I will have to get under there and look more closely. I suppose it could be where the hose goes into or out of the rack, but the amount of fluid was huge. probably a liter in 5 seconds.

This is one of those systems where I have to pull it all apart, does it make sense to just replace everything, hoses, rack, pump?