Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticking key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 08:00 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking key in ignition

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a 02 Disco with a key that gets stuck in the ignition. Have read up on past posts and recommendations are all over the place (filing down ignition barrel, lube, new key, taking the steering wheel apart, yada yada). Where's a good place to start troubleshooting? Graphite lubricant? I had some work done on the truck and someone messed around with the dash when there was no reason to. Not really in the mood to take it back to the same place and have them create even more issues. I suppose it could have been just one of those things that happens (as ignition issues seem to be common) but seems a little too coincidental if you ask me.

Thanks,
OML

Old 09-26-2023, 11:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 156 Likes on 109 Posts

Go ahead and swap one of these in. I think there is a less expensive option that has fewer features but this will take care of your problem. Once the keys start sticking it’s not really a matter of fixing the one you have it’s how long can you bandaid it until it fails again. I have in stalled this part on my 2000 and never had problems since.

The following users liked this post:
ohmylands (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 04:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 878 Likes on 636 Posts

Please clarify what you mean when you say the key gets stuck in the ignition.

Are you able to turn the key to Position 0 and it still won't come out, or can you not turn it to Position 0?

If it is the latter, the problem is likely with the XYZ switch. I had this happen in August 2005 on the first day of a family vacation to Boston and the Cape. We stopped for dinner the first evening at a restaurant on the Potomac south of Washington, and I was not able to turn the key all the way to Position 0 to remove it. Luckily it was a plain key, and I was still able to lock and unlock the truck with the keyless entry handset. But the key stayed in the ignition for the rest of the week long trip.

When I got home I was able to research the problem. I found that if the BCU doesn't "see" that the transmission is in Park it won't allow the key to be turned to Position 0 and removed. It's the XYZ switch that "signals" the BCU that the transmission is in Park. I suppose that is a safety feature, to prevent the key from being removed while the truck is moving, which would also lock the steering. Not fun.

Let us know if you are unable to turn the key to Position 0. If that is the case we can respond with guidance to first try adjusting the XYZ switch, or perhaps restoring it.

The following users liked this post:
ohmylands (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 02:23 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks gents for your response and the helpful advice/links.
It's actually intermittent and I believe it is not positioning to zero at times. Yesterday the Rover was 'dinging' when the key was in the ignition and the door was open. I don't recall that happening before. Is that 'normal'?

Took it for a short spin today and parked. Key came out no problem and no 'dinging'. Drove home, put it park, turned the ignition off and the key wouldn't come out. Heard 'dinging' and then it stopped, then the key came out no problem.

I just had some work done on the Rover (back end) and when I picked it up, the dimmer switch was hanging out of the dash binnacle and I'm having this key/lock issue.

Thanks again,

OML

Old 09-27-2023, 06:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 878 Likes on 636 Posts

You have not yet clarified the key position when you are unable to remove the key. Please look at the illustration below from the Owner's Manual
  • Position 0 allows the key to be removed.
  • Position I turns on the accessories.
  • Position II is the position to which the key returns after the truck is started and is running.
  • Position III is to start the truck.
You say you can turn off the ignition and the key won't come out. Turning the key to Position I turns off the engine. The key must be turned to Position 0 to remove the key.

When you turn off the ignition and the key won't come out, is the key at Position I or Position 0?

Old 09-27-2023, 10:57 PM
3rd Gear

It's in the zero position. Decided to take The Deputy's advice from a post a couple of years ago and start with lubing it. The tumbler must have been dry as it works like a charm now. Thanks for the input and troubleshooting help - appreciate it!

OML

Old 09-29-2023, 02:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Squirt a bunch of lock lube or fast drying silicone into the key slot and your problem will be solved.