Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Smokin from Exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still Smokin from Exhaust....

At around 141,500 miles i had the heads resurfaced, head gasket job, pressure tested,
the whole nine yards.... today i went out and before i started it up, checked the coolant level, it was getting low in the expansion tank. Added coolant with the bleed screw out till it came out of the hole. i put the screw back in and started it up, and watched the coolant rise and come out of the overflow hose, then replaced the cap on the tank.
i had to go in the cargo area for some paper towels when i noticed white smoke from the exhaust.... what is causing this to smoke now that i have had head gaskets replaced?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You never start the engine with your radiator/coolant cap off.
If you had to bleed the system again and you are getting white smoke, again, someone missed on this repair. Is there any coolant in the oil? Time to open it up again.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Winching

it has been smoking on the start-up since ive had the head done, my exhaust kinda rumbles when it idles too if that helps with info.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Winching

ill go check the oil for coolant

Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Winching

Nope, looks like clean Oil, just low cuz it was running recently, doesnt say add

Old 07-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, you live in the New England area, have you never looked at your cars exhaust first thing in the moring before on a humid day or after it has sat for 12 hours on a cool night?
Moisture builds up inside the exhaust, this is normal for it to puff white smoke, just like in the winter time, until it is all burned off, totally normal, you are just parinoid because you just had work done.
Drive it for a week, keep a eye on the coolant, as long as the coolant level stays good you are fine.
If you need to add coolant then take a closer look at the exhaust, smell it, does it smell sweet?
And yes you can start/run a engine with the radiator cap off, as long as the system is full it wont suck air back into it.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm thinking that they did not completely bleed your system. After the head gasket job it may take a couple top offs until the coolant stays at the correct level. I was nervous after my head gasket job because I had to top my expansion tank off 3 times. It's been a couple weeks and no change in the level now.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Do you check and top it off when cold only, and where do you keep th coolant level at? Run it all the way up to the cap, when cold and see if it will stay there.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Winching

I do check it and top it off when cold only, and i try to keep the level at completely full, altho it always puhes out the excess. Spike you were right, just moisture buildup inside the exhaust, later that day after I let it cool down completely, I started it up and let it run and I watched the tailpipe for smoke, which there was NONE. It rained the night before, so there had to have been a lot of water in exhaust.
question now.... these "Borla" exhausts, are they worth the $$$ ???
I found a used one that will fit my D2, to replace the rumbly exhaust that is no doubt original. (can leaks at the seam, you can see the leak on the driver side cat.)