Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Spongy.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still Spongy.

Hey everyone I just replaced the ABS Modulator (yes I disconected the lines from the abs modutar box), then bleed the brakes after. Brake pedal is hard when the rover is off but when I turn rover on it goes really soft again. When I pump brakes it get abit harder but when I stop then try again it goes soft again. The Brakes where great before I did this work. Need Help please.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to bleed the ABS modulator, and then bleed the brakes again.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How much fluid did you use to bleed the system, have you replaced the 6 rubber brake hose that, as they age get soft and cause a soft pedal?

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (06-09-2019)
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used two bottles, which lines are u talking about. How do u bleed the modulater first.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Administrator

As in 2 pints or quarts? 2 Pints won't cut it takes 2 quart.
Still need to deal with line lines and from what you said, the module is bled.
By the way Disco's are known for soft brakes on the first push and harder pedal on the second hit. Yes the pedal will feel different with the engine off, also normal.
By the way, do you have any warning lights on, if so, which ones?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lilherc
Hey everyone I just replaced the ABS Modulator (yes I disconected the lines from the abs modutar box), then bleed the brakes after. Brake pedal is hard when the rover is off but when I turn rover on it goes really soft again. When I pump brakes it get abit harder but when I stop then try again it goes soft again. The Brakes where great before I did this work. Need Help please.
First verify you have the proper amount of fluid in the system before trying this procedure.

I had the same problem after I reconnected the lines to my modulator. I bled and bled and bled some more. What you need to do is active the abs or hill decent to get the air out of the modulator. Put the truck in 4 low and get the hill decent to kick in. After the HD or ABS activates a few times. Start the bleeding process all over again. This should do it.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Ditto on Coors. When I did my 3 Amigos repair, I bled the brakes in the normal fashion. I then selected low range and hill descent control, and drove around the neighborhood in 1st gear. Every time I let off the gas pedal, the HDC engaged. By the time I got home, the brakes were perfect.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm thinking the same as DM on this one, I had the Disco Two Step as well. what solved the problem and gave me a nice hard pedal was replacing the 12-year old brake hoses and completely flushing the system

Last edited by drowssap; 10-11-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

My brakes are spongy too.
I'll try the hill decent bleed method.
It will exercise the ABS pump too.
The wealth of knowledge on here is absolutely incredible.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Administrator

If you have not opened up the module, there is no need to try and flush the it, plus, just driving the vehicle at normal stop and go driving will bleed it out.
Our biggest issues are the design, brand new out of the box, our trucks has crappy brakes. With age it only got worse, so replace the 6 rubber brakes lines and do a full 2 quart DOT, synthetic, will make a big difference. The type of pad does also have some bearing on your braking so don't use cheap pads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Still Spongy.