Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stranded car just died will crank won't turn over.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stranded car just died will crank won't turn over.

Was driving along and suddenly engine is off. Coast to side of road and car will crank strong but not catch nor turn over. Is this crank position sensor? Starter being bad wouldn't cause failure in middle of driving right? Can this sensor die while moving along?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds very much like your crank position sensor. Most of the time when they fail you can tell because if you let the car cool down for awhile and it starts up then it's the crank position sensor for sure.

Yes it can die while driving. That is exactly how mine died on me. It was the only time the rover left me stranded. Knock on wood

Old 04-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Drifting

Other guess maybe fuel pump? Got it cooling off now good to know it could come back once less hot. Course I will just get stranded again if it fails!!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Drifting

Confirmed. Started once cooled down. Is it just going to happen again as soon as it warms up?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What Jared said... go to Napa and get yourself a new CKP (Crank position sensor). wait for it to cool, grab lots of beers and patience... its a PIA.. some claim to do it in 10 minutes, others it takes hours.. Me... hours..

I do believe though, if it dies while the engine is running, it will store a code.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by primussucks
its a PIA.. some claim to do it in 10 minutes, others it takes hours.. Me... hours..
Agreed! It took me a few hours and I finally went and got my wife and her small hands to help me. A cheap part, but a PITA to reach the connector. Some people have cut a hole in the wheel well to gain access. Not my method, but it is what it is.

Here is the thread for the guy that cut a hole in case you want to go that route. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ed-road-64635/

Name:  hw2NA9V.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  53.5 KB

Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

agree..prolly ckp! I like the access of the cut out, but you can reach it w/o the hole.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Drifting

ckp was definitely it. after a lot of reading i was nervous and prepared to cut the hole. surprisingly it only took me 30 minutes or so taking my time and being deliberate.

i pulled the sensor which gave me more space to get it unplugged, small screwdriver to pop the tab and a light tug was all it took. new sensor i plugged in up first and let it dangle below. went back in easily and tightened it up no problem.

one tip, to get the connector plugged back in, look at the way the clip flexes to slide over the tab. with one finger you can hold it against the body close to the wire, and apply pressure to get the tab to flex out. this holds it in place so you can slide the new sensor connector in and under the tab since it is flexed out. worked very well.

this forum is a great asset, thanks for the archives as well as the recent advice. hopefully i can share and contribute here and there as i continue learning about this tank.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to replace my CPS. Located on the left side of the bell housing?

Old 06-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

left side...yes. pretty much right below that rear cylinder , at back of block. it has a cover on it

Quick Reply: stranded car just died will crank won't turn over.