Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stranded Disco Returns

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:09 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Stranded Disco Returns

Is that list of money spent.. out of pocket:?? 700 bucks for something you cant under stand ....Im with Nitetrain get a S10 or ranger.. Wow 3 grand for headgaskets .. 14 hundred for a radiator... BTW I got a bridge I got for sale

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:15 PM
Mudding

Didnt see Spikes post that he was a Contractor change the S10 and Ranger to a Silverado or Dodge Ram

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:43 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: redhotbuzz

Didnt see Spikes post that he was a Contractor change the S10 and Ranger to a Silverado or Dodge Ram
I disagree 100%, the Disco is a gereat vehicle for pulling a trailer everyday.
Only here in the US do we use pick up trucks, the rest of the world uses SUV's, 12ft box trucks and cargo vans.
Dont be a lemming, use your Disco for work.

Old 02-05-2009 | 06:18 AM
|
Three Wheeling

No, I'm not a contractor and no I don't pull a trailer all day. I'm an OSHA Outreach Trainer and spens a lot of time on Northern Virginia interstates. I only pull the open trailer when going to the landfill or campingduring hunting season. I use the Disco all of the time because driving around here in this traffic can be deadly, and it was the safest vehicle I could find.

I looked at Home Depot for that connector, but couldn't find it. I'll go check Lowe's

That price list was just an estimate Land Rover gave me. Hell, I didn't pay that much for the thing. My feeling is..the Discosleak so just keep the fluids up and go on with it. Besides, it's just a starting problem.

I drive other vehicles when the Rover's not working, but I have a three year old and one on the way, plus my wife has been terribly sick the entire pregnancyand can hardly take care ofmy 3 year old girl. It has left me with very little time towork onmy truck.

I mean really, how hard can it be for a proffessional mechanic to diagosesomething they work on every single dayjust to get a truck started?

Old 02-05-2009 | 07:56 AM
TReK

I would suggest finding an independent mechanic near you to work on your Rover. $3000 for head gaskets is ridiculous. I had head gaskets and water pump done on my 97 and the total bill was only $2200. Discos do a have a natural tendency to leak so unless the leaks starting getting too bad just watch your fluid levels and call it good.

As much as I hate to say because I know what towing a vehicle costs, have it towed to where you can replace the plugs and wires. Spend the money and get Magnecor wires with a good plug. Sounds like a tune up is in order to fix your problem.

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:01 AM
Camel Trophy

Lots of mechanics freak out at the little green oval on the grill. These engines are really easy to work on, you just have to take time. Your dealer is raping you, so I agree with AK rover, find a good indy shop.

You need to change out the plugs and wires. I put the Bosch Autozone wires on when I first got mine. They lasted 3 months and 8 months respectively. I put Magnacors on and haven't looked back. They are worth the $$. I also recently switched to +4 plugs and I can feel a difference. (they actually have a guarantee for it).

You also need to track down your coolant leak. If it is the heads, stay on top of your coolant, but get them fixed asap. It only takes one time to drop a liner.