Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Stranded Disco Saga

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Stranded Disco Saga

Drove back to the GoodYearparking lot yesterday morning to replace the crank sensor. Took FOREVER to get it unplugged. Finally got it unplugged after about 2 hours of fighting with it. Tried & tried forever to get the new one plugged inand decided I definately needed another person... and some of Brett's engineered customized tools that haven't been patented yet. Had to make the hour drive back there again today. This is the 4th time I have had to drive back & forth.I got the new crank sensor installed in about 45 minutes with the second set of hands. The great moment came to try to start the truck after it's been stranded for two weeks. It still doesn't start!

I'm done at this point. Tomorrow I am going to have it towed30 miles to the shop I have used a few times before. I know that willcost meprobably $1000.00 for whatever theyrip me off on.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions you guys gave me over the last two weeks. I'll update everyone again afterIfinish emptying my wallet with these crooks.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: The Stranded Disco Saga

Man that sucks great big hairy a$$.
Sorry to hear that, best of luck to you.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What have you verified you have so far? Fuel? SPark?

Old 01-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Three Wheeling

GoodYear supposedly checked the fuel pump and saidit wasn't thepump. I had already confirmed I was getting spark. I made sure all of the plug wires were seated good. I went ahead and changed all of the spark plugs toBosch +4's today...just so I couldcheck all of the plugs at this point andas a last ditch efforts to get it to run. It looked like one of the spark plugs was dry as a bone - where the others had some fuel on them.

I don't know, maybe some of my plug wires are fried? They're only about 6 months old. They're generic though. I don't know if that would prevent it from starting.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Three Wheeling

GoodYear supposedly checked the fuel pump and saidit wasn't thepump. I had already confirmed I was getting spark. I made sure all of the plug wires were seated good. I went ahead and changed all of the spark plugs toBosch +4's today...just so I couldcheck all of the plugs at this point andas a last ditch efforts to get it to run. It looked like one of the spark plugs was dry as a bone - where the others had some fuel on them.

I don't know, maybe some of my plug wires are fried? They're only about 6 months old. They're generic though. I don't know if that would prevent it from starting.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Very doubtful that with bad plug wires it wont start, it just would run bad.
Unless all the wires were bad at the same time...
I would definetly say that you need new wires though, either Land Rover wires or better yet Magnecor plug wires.
DiscoMike knows of a good place to get them for half way cheap.
It really sucks that the truck is so far away from you.
Again, best of luck to you and your pregnant wife.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the plugs/wires won't cause it to not start unless your cross wired them all which is unlikely and I would expect it to try to fire.

Get yourself a can of carb cleaner and spary some down the intake while someone cranks the engine over. You made the comment that the plugs were dry. This will tell you right away if it's fuel.

If you have spark I'd expect the car to fire assuming there's fuel. Can you hear the pump turn on when the key is cycled?