Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange ABS code and no blower fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 06:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts
Default strange ABS code and no blower fan

after finally giving the Rover a well deserved oil change, i left the hood open to remind myself to check the oil level the next morning.

that night we got over 5 inches of rain. fortunately, the Rover fired right up but did have every light for the ABS System lit up. Brake light, ABS, TC, HDC along with multiple codes. All the codes had to do with low voltage. i figured it had to do with the deluge of water from the previous night and that it would all dry out and go back to normal. after a day or two of driving the brake light, ABS light, TC, and HDC all went off after start up. now, five days later, i am getting the TC and HDC lights popping on after any random amount of driving. the only code that comes up is PWM signal failure from the engine ECU.

is this most likely still related to moisture in the system somewhere? i pulled the two plugs on the side of the ABS Modulator and sprayed them with electrical cleaner. still getting the PWM code. is there another plug to pull and clean?

the HVAC blower has also stopped working. the HVAC display works as it should and the AC compressor kicks on when i turn it on. but the blower does nothing. i can hear a relay click when i press the fan speed switch but nothing from the blower itself. it did randomly kick on yesterday while i was driving around but then stopped and has not come back on. i checked the fuse under the steering wheel and it was good. could this be related to the soaking the engine bay got or is this more than likely a coincidental failure? what in the engine bay would affect the blower turning on and off.

i just had Safety and Emissions done and passed both. however, the tech said the battery was low and needed to be replaced. i checked the voltage while driving and it came in at 13.67 and then later at 13.5.

i went and picked up a new battery. hooked it up and the Rover wouldn't start. returned it and put in another new battery. same thing. Rover wouldn't start. put the old battery back in and the Rover fired up just fine. went to another auto parts store, bought a third battery, hooked it up and nothing. Rover wouldn't start. put the old battery back in and the Rover fired right up.

it still starts and drives just fine with the old battery.

for the record, i have installed multiple batteries in all of my vehicles, so i'm 99% sure i wasn't doing anything wrong.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

now i am getting a no start at all. can't even jump it.

the dash lights will come on for a second sometimes then shut off after i turn the key to start. other times the dash lights will come on then shut off when i step on the brake.

the positive and negative/ground cables to and from the battery look fine. i guess i'll start checking relays.

Edit: switched the battery to my son's '01 and she fired right up. so, definitely looking for something other than the battery on the '04 at this point.

Last edited by jastutte; 07-31-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i ordered some "military" style terminal connectors and installed them. the Rover fired right up.

there was a good amount of corrosion on both the negative and positive cables. little bit of trimming and new connectors and all is good.

now i just need to figure out why my HVAC blower isn't working and why i'm getting ABS codes along with the TC and HDC lights on the dash.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

i posted in my other thread my resolution with the blower fan (new fan and connector); but wanted to follow up here with the ABS codes and dash lights.

it would seem to be moisture issues related to me leaving the hood open during a storm were what caused the the low voltage codes. after driving regularly for the past two weeks all codes and lights are gone and TC works as intended.

moral of the story: don't leave the hood of your Rover open when expecting 6 inches of rain.