Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Creaking Noise, Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Strange Creaking Noise, Any Ideas?

There is a creaking noise on my D1 (1998) that eminates from the L R wheel area. It is like a banging noise, tinny, almost like the brake dust shield slapping on something. It occurs at low speed often if I hit a small bump while turning the corner ...appears to follow the rotation of the wheel speed. It goes away after a few seconds and also when light brake pressure is applied. I had it up on a hoist but did not uncover anything, the dust shield is firmly in place, did not appear bent in any way. Nothing underneath seemed to be loose at all. I did not have time to pull the wheel. I'm going to pull the wheel tomorrow, but I can't imagine what it could be behind the wheel making that sound. It doesn't sound like a caliper ...like I've heard before, anyway.

Any suggestions, please advise. Thanks much.

Mark G

Old 10-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Strange Creaking Noise, Any Ideas?

I have a noise close to that except mine sounds like the coil spring is rubbing ever so slightly on metal. Maybe just a worn isolator. I`ll take care of it when I install a lift. Good luck on yours.
Bob

Old 10-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Strange Creaking Noise, Any Ideas?

While you are back there, check the shock, make sure the bushings are good and the upper shock housing is not rubbibg on the lower portion.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Creaking/Reverberating Noise While going over bump AND your Colorado Ski/Board Report!

I've had my first odd noise and it seems similar. My 03 SII makes a metallic 'dadadadadadaa' around the right front while I'm making a right turn and go over a small speed bump in my condo complex. At first I thought it was some loose pen or sunglasses in my glove box or console but tonight it did again and I had nothing in either. If I go very low speed there is no sound at all.

Could it be the same rubbing that was diagnosed earlier?

On the snow front I got up and down from the mountains in heated comfort and with no driving issues this weekend. Parked and hitch hiked the divide for awhile in 8 inches of powder. Don't book your tickets to Colorado yet, the resorts have gotten screwed on snow thus far. Most have about 5-10 runs total(maybe 10-20% of their total area) and it's still a mob scene. I'd say wait till after New Years if you are planning a ski/board trip right now.