Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Find....but sure worth it

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange Find....but sure worth it

Picked up a bunch of 03 parts really cheap. From wheel hubs and axles (rolling chassis) to a gorgeous 4hp24 tranny/tc and it has CDL. It has the nipple. This truck only had 53,000 when it was wreaked. The guy bought another 03 with a bad motor and put the 53,000 mile motor in it. But I'm the proud owner of most of the other items. Question is, I know the 4hp24 is a little longer than my 02's 4hp22...but will the 24 go in my 02. I have everything drive shafts ect. I have heard the 24's got some beefed up internals. If not I will just swap the transfer cases so I can have CDL on my 02. Also..is it true changing out a tranny on these is a PITA. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, what is CDL? tried a search here but nothing came up.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the TC is a LT230 and it must of came out of another year rover that '03 if it has the CDL nipple.

2001SE7, you didnt search too hard..hundreds of CDL threads on here

Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks NiteTrain. I thought we all had LT230's on the DII's, just some without the CDL. I will call the past owner tonight. Maybe he had a warranty replacement or something. Sure looks like the CDL nipple. I know LR changed the trans in 03 to the 4hp24 over the previous 4hp22...or I thought that is what I read.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:16 AM
Mudding
Default Thanks for nothing.

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
the TC is a LT230 and it must of came out of another year rover that '03 if it has the CDL nipple.

I am sorry; I didn't realize there was minimum search requirement before asking a question or that one would be such an inconvenience to anyone here. I had never received an arrogant or rude reply here or on any LR Forum until now. I had always hoped those attitudes were reserved for the Mercedes and BMW forums. I'll know better in the future to PM Mike or Spike with my needs knowing they are secure enough in they knowledge to answer any question without the need to insult or putdown no matter how silly, stupid or redundant the question or how easy the answer may be found elsewhere. NiteTrain when I ask for help or for an answer here, don't put yourself out, I wasn't asking you this time, please don't ever assume that I am. Thank you.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Banned

Central Diff Lock
You wanna try asking that on Discoweb eh?

Old 01-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by NiteTrain

Have you tried typing "CDL" into the search bar? Chill, Nite Train. We're all on the same team here, buddy.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:47 AM
TReK

2001SE7, I apologize..I was convinced you were lying about trying to search for CDL since there are literally hundreds of threads on here about it. So I did a search to see how many hits came back.

"The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : CDL"

admin, we might want to fix that or atleast have a CDL sticky

Old 01-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Mudding

when I came across this thread, I saw the first entry about that transmission having "CDL" like it was something special; so I wanted to know what it was and if maybe my son's Disco has it. I don't know what it is or what CDL is an acronym for so I went to the Disco II section of the forum and clicked on "search this forum" and entered CDL and clicked go. The 'no matches" message displayed and the advance search page. At that point I thought it would be okay/easier to just ask on this thread since its was already being talked about; it obviously wasn't okay. So now I really don't care to know, I figure if it ever becomes an issue with some problem I am dealing with I'll come across the answer when it is necessary. For now, I have several sea creatures in the pan that need to be flipped over that happened to be significantly larger than this little minnow. I was searching "engine(or motor) swap" because I have a bad block(leaking/overheating) and for some reason this was one of the threads listed. I read the initial post and got side tracked on "CDL" out of curiosity or more likely ADD. I have never entered a member into the User CP Ignore List... until now.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

2001:

CDL stands for Center Differential Locking. Because I'm feeling lazy tonight, I just copied this from another forum (where I've heard people are really not friendly)

Certain years of the Discovery II share the same transfer case (LT230SE) with the Discovery I. This transfer case has the ability to lock the front and rear driveshafts together which will increase off road traction using what is called Center Differential Locking or CDL. On the Discovery I, this is operated by shifting the HIGH-LOW selector to the left, therefore engaging the CDL. The fine folks at Land Rover decided that this was too complicated for average consumer to use, so they decided not to include it with the new range of Discovery IIs, believing that Electronic Traction Control (ETC) would be sufficient enough.

Years that Contain It
As said above, certain years contain the same transfer box, which contains the mechanism needed to lock it, just no easy to use handle to engage it.
1999 & 2000 Have the Transfer Case
Certain models of the early 2001 build year have it
2002 & 2003 does not have it
2004 has the transfer case AND they decided to bring back the in cab lever to operate it.

Quick Reply: Strange Find....but sure worth it