Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A strange issue with my Disco: Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A strange issue with my Disco: Any thoughts?

I once again come here looking for your wisdom. A few weeks ago, I arrived back into town from a trip. When Igot to my Disco, parked in the airport garage,it would not start; it was completely dead. Not only did the remote locks not work and the clock was off, there was no power; period. So, I called for a "jump" and the truck started right up. I thought that all was good, a fluke and nothing more. Truck was solid for the next three days.

On the morning of day four, same thing, dead truck. This time, I popped the hood to see if there was a loose wire, etc and as soon as I pulled the hood-release lever, power was restored. Literally,when the hood popped open, I had full power. This has happened twice more since then and the simple fix is to just pop the hood.

From what I can tell, all seems normal under the hood.. Why the hood-release lever thing shakes things up, I have no idea.

Any thoughts on this weird issue? I am stumped and I would rather not pay LR the money to tell me they cannot find the problem either.

Thanks in advance for your help! This is great forum!!

Old School

Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: A strange issue with my Disco: Any thoughts?

Have you cleaned your battery terminals - and put something on them to prevent corrosion

Old 05-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like it might be grounding issue. It's strange that it would go away when you pop the hood though.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Yup, sounds like a bad wire or corrosion - check the ground wire and terminals.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Drifting

The terminal on the battery seem to be cleaned. The batter is new(a year old) and I put that clear lube stuff on it when I installed the battery to help with the corrosion. I will check the ground wire. Where is it?

Old 05-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Overlanding

I had the same type thing happen a couple of years ago. There was no power a couple of times but eventually it started. Had it checked. Mechanic couldn't find anything. Then driving down the road one day, I lost all power. Was towed into a garage where it sat for three days and they phoned up and said they couldn't work out the problem. Another tow to the dealer ...hour later, I was told it was the wiring harness. I live in the country and mice ate it! I now put those Downy fabric softener tissues under the hood!!!

Oh and I've never been back to the garage where they couldn't work it out either.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Drifting

Interesting. We have plenty of mice and the truck can sit for days without moving. Do you know which harness it was that was replaced, assuming there is more than one harness?

Scott

Old 05-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Overlanding

I have to admit that I was so grateful they found the problem and fixed it in an afternoon that I didn't even ask when I picked it up. My garage is actually a barn with a dirt floor so there are going to be mice. I just didn't know the little demons liked wiring so lesson learned. You might want to spend some time just checking all the wires to see if there are frays or cuts where they might have had a snack.