Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Brake/Stealer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:30 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Brake/Stealer Issue

Hello All, I just recently purchased an '03 SE7 with ~35K on it. I got it CPO from the Stealer. It is under orig manufacturers warranty until May24th, then the CPO kicks in. I had a few issues with it so brought it in, one of which being the squeal from the brakes.
I just got a call from the Service Mgr telling my my rear pads were almost shot (down to 2mm), I told him upon inquiry at time of purchaseI was told rear pads were at 6mm and fronts at 12mm and CPO minimum acceptability crieria is better than 50% wear. Bear in mind I picked upthis truck on April 27th and since then have been out of town on business for week so only have 2 weeks of acutal driving on it (~800 miles). The rep indicated new rears would cost me ~$500, I told him to holdoff because I want to talk to the sales mgr and person who CPO'ed the vehicle.
He then indicated the outer pads were at 5mm and the inner pads at 2mm, and said the wear could only be attributed to "Driving habits". This sounds like BS to me, how could I possible wear down my pads that quickly in 800 miles, unless I drove around with the stinking e-brake on???? (BTW, I'm not a speed demon, and am very gentle with braking, etc).
Please let me know if this sounds normal to you guys, I want to have all the ammo I need when I go in to fight to get them do the brakes for free.

Many Thanks

Old 05-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Brake/Stealer Issue

Very few people/mecjanics actually eye ball the pads and guestimate what is left.
Two thoughts, before your warranty runs out buy yourself an extende one from Rover, they are expensive and worth every penny of it.
Do the brakes your self, we can tell you where to buy good brake parts and how to do it, will take you and hour plus the time necessary to bleed the brakes when you are done, you will save an easy $300 and have new rotors and pads.
Make sure you crawl all over your truck looking for leaks and things so yyou can get it repaired before your warranty is up.
Mike

Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks Mike,
I've been searching for any little thign to get repairs while still under orignal warranty (no deductible). Then I have the truck covered under CPO for another 2 years or up 75K ($100 deductible) and plan to get the extended (up to 100K) after that. I plan on doing my brakes myself as they need to be changed and will definitely solicit your advice.

My main concern here is that this vehile was certified 3 weeks ago to have have greater than 50% of the life left in the pads, and now they're telling me I've got about 2-3000 miles I can still drive on them. Since they're my closest Rover dealer (2 mi from my house the other 3 are 60+ miles), it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I just thought that the CPO guaranteed I had more time than this before I'd need to be doing brakes.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 05-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I would call the selling dealers general sales manager, ONLT. and let him know what you have been told. If you don't get any satisfaction call the Local Rover zone office and speaker with them.
Let me know what happens.
Mike

Old 05-17-2007, 06:51 PM
3rd Gear

All worked out well without having to go the Sales Manager. They realized the mistake and replaced the rear pads, while they were there realized the rear hubs were leaking and replaced those as well! I've got to give them props, they handled the whole thing great! That's the kind of service I expected and I'm very glad they lived up to the expectations!

Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 AM
4wd Low

Having been a sales person and manager for Rover and MB, I can tell you that this type of issue and initial response and eventual follow up response is totally normal. It sucks to hear, and even more to say. This is why I've left the auto business.

Regardless, if you hear this from a dealer DO NOT back down. LR and MB (as well as most every one I've seen) CPOs require that brakes be at least 50%. However what happens is the sales department pushes the car to be done fast so the service department rushes and skips many many things. This is normal, everywhere. Having been, as I said, both in sales and a manager I'm beging you don't start yelling at your sales person or the management (service department's responsibility). Just let them know what's going on and be firm that it needs to be fixed. If the dealer doesn't have measurement records of the brake pads from the CPO inspection then they are pretty well f'd and have to replace them otherwise face the rath of the manufacurer which they will avoid (fines, big big fines).

Keep this in mind when looking for a CPO car, just be sure to catch issues FAST or you'll be the one left holding the bill.

Paul