Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange problem with my disco

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange problem with my disco

ok I've been driving a '96 disco since about october of 2006, and for the most part it hasn't given me problems, aside from the usual maintenence stuff that happens to most older cars. Up untill about 2 weeks ago. I was at a friends house and it was raining pretty heavily. After a few hours, we were all down in the basement watching a movie and at random my horn just started blaring and would not shut off. The alarm light in the dash was on steadily, and it wouldn't start so I just yanked out the horn fuse to make it stop while I tried to figure out what was wrong. We couldn't do anything after consulting the manual and the internet, so I was forced to let it sit over night and come back the next day, when (because it had dried out?) it started up, and I had to give plenty of gas to keep it running.

So now last night my area is getting pretty heavy rains again, and at about 1 AM the same thing happened (my neighbors looked pretty happy). I haven't attempted to go start it yet but I'm pretty positive it won't start, since it's been raining this whole time and whatever has been damaged by the water hasn't had time to dry yet. Anybody have any thoughts? I'll take any advice at this point, since I can't afford to buy a new car, and whatever is defective really needs to be fixed.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: strange problem with my disco

You may have a water leak.
The ecm for the alarm is in back of the glove box,, also
the antenna line is just above the alarm ecu on mine.

You may have water running down the antennacable if
not andthe ecu isnot wet I would check the hood pin to
see ifits is shorting out.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: strange problem with my disco

ok I just went out a few minutes ago and attempted to start the car. I got absolutely nothing. No noise, the car didn't even attempt to turn over, which it did the last time this happened.

I looked underneath the glove box and there is a bit of water down there, so I'm thinking that may just be where the problem is, I just don't want to go fiddling around in there, as I really don't know much about this sort of thing.