Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange vibration at lower speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for everyones support on this, I got the front drive shaft off, and got got the transfer case locked so I can still drive around a few days while its being rebuilt. When I dropped off the drive shaft, even though the front u-joint wasn't bad, I am still having them replace everything with AMERICAN parts. The price was higher than what I was quoted over the phone, as well as the time frame being longer because they have to order the parts, but that was because it was suggested to use USA made parts. So the price went up to $245, but when they asked for a deposit, they knocked it down to $225 if I paid all cash up front. Overall, I do believe it will be well worth it.

Thanks again Mike for allowing me to call you about this problem, once I started driving with the removed front drive shaft, the vibration was gone, and i was able to put down the cigarettes that i picked up once the stress of problem caused me to get them.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

make sure you check the output shaft bearing before putting the drive shaft back in. you could have the best balanced driveshaft in the world but if the bearing has play it will still cause a vibration.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your help... Today I was finally able to get some time to put my truck on the lift and reinstall the rebuilt (with American parts) front drive shaft... Everything went back together with Ease. I also bought and installed a new wheel hub/bearing on the drivers side, because there was a little play in that wheel & obvious rumble when going right. Anyways everything is back together, no more vibration, no more rumble, drives quiet again, and straight as an arrow. While I had it up in the air I noticed that the upper ball joint on the drivers side the boot is falling apart, so that'll be a future project... Anyways, today's reinstall of the front drive shaft & 1 new hub/bearing & abs sensor took about 2.5 hours, which I don't think was that bad considering it's really the first time I dug into this truck... Could have been shorter I guess if I wasn't comparing the sound & feel of the hub/bearing on both sides as much as I did... Thanks again for everyones help