Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Street Legal" H7 LED from OSRAM

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021 | 01:17 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default "Street Legal" H7 LED from OSRAM

Osram introduced a new H7 LED last fall: https://www.osram.com/ecat/NIGHT%20B...GPS01_3401765/
"street legal", because it is not approved in the US or Canada, but in Germany. There you have to carry "street legal" certificates for any aftermarket mod/part and you need your car examined every two years. So it means something.

The manufacturer claims it is 220% brighter, lasts 5 times longer and reduces glare by 50%. It was independently tested and confirmed

The questions is, will it fit into a facelift D2 headlight assembly?

They are listed on Amazon, but not available yet.
Amazon Amazon
On German Amazon they are about 116 USD a pair :
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Discorama; 03-08-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2021 | 03:14 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Discorama
Osram introduced a new H7 LED last fall: https://www.osram.com/ecat/NIGHT%20B...GPS01_3401765/
"street legal", because it is not approved in the US or Canada, but in Germany. There you have to carry "street legal" certificates for any aftermarket mod/part and you need your car examined every two years. So it means something.

The manufacturer claims it is 220% brighter, lasts 5 times longer and reduces glare by 50%. It was independently tested and confirmed

The questions is, will it fit into a facelift D2 headlight assembly?

They are listed on Amazon, but not available yet. https://www.amazon.com/-/en/64210DWN...dp/B08DNZMC11/
On German Amazon they are about 116 USD a pair : https://www.amazon.de/-/en/64210DWNB...dp/B08DNZMC11/
Interesting...I’d be willing to try them.

I’m done with replacing the Sylvania Silver Stars every 6 mo. Low beams just failed again, so I went ahead and spent the weekend restoring the headlights (‘04 - sand/polish/clear coat/sand/polish- then sand and polish again) and they came out pretty minty. Need to post some pics.

Old 03-08-2021 | 03:23 PM
Pro Wrench

I think going with a HID retrofit projector set up is the best option for the facelift headlights. No not as cheap as bulbs but should gain significant light output with an appropriate cut off and bulbs should last for years.

If you wanted to get creative it would be super sweet to do the retrofits in the low beam bulb spot (the retrofits are both high and low beams so some wiring would need to be changed) but then fit some baja design squadron spots or fogs in the high beam area....that's me just day dreaming but would love to give it a try one day.

Baja light in question

Added a high beam only projector for the high beam slot. Will be switched like an aux light

Hadn’t finished polishing lens at this point

Last edited by whowa004; 03-08-2021 at 03:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by whowa004:
Massrover (03-09-2021), SundayFunday (03-10-2021)
Old 03-08-2021 | 09:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Whowa004. Looks really nice !!

Old 03-09-2021 | 07:28 AM

I effing hate these superbright headlights on these newer vehicles. It blinds you at night it pisses me off. Not sure how we ever drove all these years without these ridiculous bright lights

The following users liked this post:
NewToTheTwo (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021 | 08:11 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by 04disco2va
Whowa004. Looks really nice !!
Thanks, I've had them done and ready to install for months now...kind of embarrassing. They are on my list for this spring though!

redwhite - a lot has to do with people not correctly aiming new headlights or just throwing a HID or LED bulb in a non projector housing and the light just goes everywhere. Those HID projector kits have a fantastic cut off so as long as I don't aim them super high I shouldn't blind anyone while still increasing my visibility substantially.

Old 03-09-2021 | 08:23 AM
Mudding

My headlights were super easy to polish, foam polishing wheel in my cordless drill and some 5000 grit scratch remover, about ten minutes a side, some decent Sylvania halogen and the seem to be very bright,

I have tried high dollar led bulbs in several vehicles. The have all been disappointing in a standard lamp, my daily driver is at the moment a ford excursion diesel that came with the 2005 excursion version of the halo lights you are looking at, they were made for led bulbs, I still get more light out of them using halogen than the led bulbs they were designed for

Old 03-09-2021 | 08:39 AM
Pro Wrench

LEDs are great as they use less power, but you'd be correct that they don't output as well as a halogen or HID bulb.

I was waiting to finish polishing once lights were installed...they will be going on a 99 so not quite a plug and play install and didn't want to worry about finger prints or feeling like I needed to handle them with white gloves lol

Old 03-09-2021 | 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench

I had a set of aftermarket LEDs...off amazon or ebay...similar package..didnt fit under stock headlight bulb screw on cover...

Old 03-09-2021 | 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

I've been running the Auxbeam Eagle series LED bulb in both my D1's and one of my D2's. Very good light output, a true High/Low Beam pattern, and zero issues with glare like the cheapo's put out. I just looked and they're on sale/clearance. I just ordered another set for my Kalahari!

I also see they slapped a GIANT for off road use only status on them (all their LED headlights actually). Well all I can say to that is a lot of stuff on my LR's = wouldn't be DOT approved lol. Tires sticking out further than stock, big old pedestrian killing ARB bumper, strong enough roof lights to help a 747 land at night, 3inch lift, and yada yada yada.... Those lights are the best I have used in many years. I tried a cheap ebay set and they were awful with no real difference between High/Low Beam and glare out the (_!_). I had a set of 900.00 JW Speaker LED 7inch round LED headlights on 2 of my 05 Jeep Wranglers and I would put these in the exact same ball park as far as light output, and glare. Beam isn't as crisp due to a 20 year LR headlight housing, but darn close.

AuxBeam Eagle LED Headlight Bulb

Last edited by Best4x4; 03-09-2021 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: "Street Legal" H7 LED from OSRAM