Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped block hole for the #1 cylinder head bolt!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped block hole for the #1 cylinder head bolt!!

Ok, so I am replacing the Head Gaskets on a 2003 Discovery. I am in the putting back together stage. I was putting my first cylinder head back on. I followed the tightening procedure in the Rave manual. When I was going for my 3rd round of tightening (first to 15 lbs, second ninety degrees), The #1 cylinder head bolt gave way. I was hoping to pull it out and see the threads were stripped on the bolt. But, with my luck there were perfectly fine. I have a stripped block. Please help, what options do I have. Drill and tap the hole bigger?? This is not good!!!!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

What kind of assembly lube were you using? I'll bet you have to re-tap. Might look at arp - ARP-bolts.com | ARP - World-leading Fastener Technology - their design does not require as much tightening.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Drifting

following the manual, I was just using fresh engine oil on the bolts

Old 03-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Helicoil.

I assuming you are using new bolts, but as Savannah mentioned, a lot of people prefer ARP studs instead... that way there is only stress in one direction instead of two while tightening. Some people have had the ARP studs pull out threads on the block too. There are two different versions, one for the Buick 215, and a newer kit for the rover V8. It has fewer studs and costs more, but the part that goes into the block is a bit longer, hopefully to help with this kind of problem.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I used bolt - stretch from All-makes.
I soaked them in oil for the 1997.
For the 2001, I think I put dabs of of grease at the top.

The 2003 Discovery - you are the 2nd person to report head bolts pulling out on the 90 degree tightening.

Guess I got really lucky.
I would have taken my bat and ball and gone home..

Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Wow, what the heck..... I am now up to 3 stripped out holes. I am still on the first side...... I am giving up for the night. Any suggestions after I calm down!!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:29 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I would simply stop working on it now and until members who know helicores step in to advise you.

Thinking your engine may have overheated severely.
Something softened the aluminium.

Perhaps you need to go get a new torque wrench and throw that one away.
I would not trust that torque wrench.

I used a brand new one I got from Napa.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Drifting

My block is like butta, I just ordered some Time-serts. I will let you know how it turns out. Still debating the ARP stud set. Any thoughts?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The arp set may be a good idea. But I've read you should only torque them to 60 ft/lbs. I guess arp recommends 80 ft/lbs but that is too much.

If I had to do it, I'd use arp studs. However, many, many people have had success with the stretch bolts.

I suspect you are doing something wrong.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Drifting

I could be doing something wrong, but not sure what. Holes were cleaned out, oiled the threads on the bolts, torqued to 15 lbs, then went 90 degrees, then on the second 90 is when they are giving way. I am not even that far into the second 90. 90 degrees is a quarter turn, right??? I did have one thought, I am installing the head on the passenger side (the major blowout of HG was on the drivers side). But as I removed the HG from the passenger side, I noticed indications of leaking HG around bolt hole #1 (the first threads to go). Maybe the threads were weak from overheating or something. I just bought this car and have never heard it run. I bought it from a fellow that did not want to repair it. When I picked it up it was already partially torn down at a mechanic shop. So I have no idea of it's overheating history. Not sure what I got myself into, but I have owned a 95 Disco for 15 years without this much trouble. My 95 has 175k on it and this 03 only has 104k. Maybe I should just put the 95 motor in the 03 and be done with it. . No, seriously I will get back at it when the Time-serts arrive and let you know how it goes. But I have to say I have not been this frustrated in quite a while.

Quick Reply: Stripped block hole for the #1 cylinder head bolt!!