Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strongly considering purchasing 2003 DII

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strongly considering purchasing 2003 DII

Hello all,

After doing online research and looking at a 2003 Discovery at a Land Rover dealership, I'm leaning towards purchasing it but I'm hesitating. I'm in the USAF and I'm being assigned to Northbay Canada, so I want an all-wheel drive vehicle that is safe, at home off-road, and can survive rough winters. My understand of these trucks is that they will go forever with proper maintenance and I'm more than willing to put in the work, I actually enjoy wrenching, but I must weigh the possibility of the truck having issues during the middle of the winter.

The truck has 87K and I guess the VIN falls into the sequence of trucks with a faulty oil pump. How significant is the problem? Also, I read that these trucks need a maintenance overhaul at 60K. If it wasn't done or can't be verified that it was done, can it cause significant problems now that the truck has 87K?

Other than that, the truck is in great condition. I turned my 12-year-old son loose in it to see if he could break something and it pass his test. So, I'm just looking from any advice from the enthusiasts and I hope to be one myself some day.

Thanks,

Craig

Old 09-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peanuts8888
Hello all,

After doing online research and looking at a 2003 Discovery at a Land Rover dealership, I'm leaning towards purchasing it but I'm hesitating. I'm in the USAF and I'm being assigned to Northbay Canada, so I want an all-wheel drive vehicle that is safe, at home off-road, and can survive rough winters. My understand of these trucks is that they will go forever with proper maintenance and I'm more than willing to put in the work, I actually enjoy wrenching, but I must weigh the possibility of the truck having issues during the middle of the winter.

The truck has 87K and I guess the VIN falls into the sequence of trucks with a faulty oil pump. How significant is the problem? Also, I read that these trucks need a maintenance overhaul at 60K. If it wasn't done or can't be verified that it was done, can it cause significant problems now that the truck has 87K?

Other than that, the truck is in great condition. I turned my 12-year-old son loose in it to see if he could break something and it pass his test. So, I'm just looking from any advice from the enthusiasts and I hope to be one myself some day.

Thanks,

Craig
Craig,

I have a 2003 D2 with 81K and within the VIN range. If you're referring to DiscoMike's 60k service, its' not too horrible. I don't have a dollar number for conducting the entire 60k service, but it's not bad. Actually I think it's a great way to get acquainted with your Rover.

I have heard various reports about the oil pump. It's definitely an issue, but there are vehicles within the VIN range that don't have problems. A lot do. However, I'm in the camp that believes you can just replace the front cover when the oil pump goes and only be out $600 and a weekend worth of work instead of an entire engine. Yes, you may have the same problem in another 80k due to the "misaligned dowel holes", but hey.

I would suggest getting an oil pressure reading either from the dealership or better yet yourself before you buy it. If it's already weak, I wouldn't buy it cause it'll only go downhill from there.

My D2 has 81k and has an warm idle oil pressure of 22-28ish. 2000k pressure reading is real close to the max 50 psi. The danger threshold for warm idle oil pressure is 10psi I think (according to the rave manual) and at 6 your light will come on. You're engine is probably close to dead at that point from what I hear.

The only other gripe I have about the 2003 is no differential lock, which locks the front and rear diffs which gives a lot more traction. You can modify your transfer case to incorporate diff lock with some time and money.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:54 AM
Drifting

Thanks

Old 09-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Drifting

Concerning the oil pump...is the issue that the oil pump begins to fail and goes unnoticed until it’s too late to save the engine? Can the dowel pin problem be solved with an oil pump replacement or will the problem continue to exist? Lastly, other than a faulty oil pump, is the engine reliable?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2 on the missing central diff lock on the 2003, if you could get a 2004 that would be better.
There are 2 locating dowels on the front of the engine block, these were misaligned in the manufacturing process of the blocks, they still allow the oil pump cover to be fitted but it causes stress on the oil pump and the gears can break. If you put on a new oil pump you will still have the same problem. There are long debates about removing the dowels, some say do it and others say don't, it's a crap shoot. The engines themselves are pretty reliable and forgiving and there will be many that disagree with me on that, the head gaskets are a problem and they do fail. At 87K the hg should have been done already, otherwise it is due to be done.
Have the oil pressure tested on that vehicle and insist on seeing it for yourself, don't take their word because it will cost you. You are looking for hot idle in the 20s as said above, the higher the better. Cold idle will be ~50 and you have to wait until the engine is warmed up well before you get the hot idle pressure. Good luck with your purchase, and thanks for serving.

After thought: get maintenance records, lack of regular maintenance kills these engines and leads to expensive repairs.

Last edited by Bundu; 09-12-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, how much are they asking for that 03? If it hasn't had the 60K, shop price with wires is around $1100, or parts are around $400 if you do it your self. Plan on $300 for a front drive shaft rebuild and already mentioned, the 03 is a good truck, but if you want traction, then you either need to rebuild or replace the t/case or buy an 04.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Drifting

The asking price is $11K. When I asked about maintenance, they told me that the wires and plugs were replaced. The first sales person that I talked to told me that the head gasket was replaced and I was happy to hear that. So, I thought that the 90K maintenance was done but later it was clarified that it was only the head cover gasket and that the head cover bolts were only tighten. I couldn't find any service records, they didn't produce any service records, other than the recent work they did, and Carfax didn't have any service records.

Even after all that I was willing to negotiate a final price but I'm reconsidering now. I still have a few more weeks to search before I leave, so I'm going to pass on this one and cross my fingers that the right one will present itself.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:17 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$11K is too much if you ask me. If you like doing maintenance yourself and can do without traction control consider getting a '95-'99 D1..easier and much cheaper to work on...and you can find them dirt cheap.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
$11K is too much if you ask me. If you like doing maintenance yourself and can do without traction control consider getting a '95-'99 D1..easier and much cheaper to work on...and you can find them dirt cheap.
X2....on all of it. I wouldn't risk it on an '03 but that's just me. Matter of fact I personally wouldn't want a DII even if I could get one for the same price as my DI (which was around 2K after TT&L) but that's just me. Not knocking the DII just more work than my DI and that's still plenty of work. Good luck finding one.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by peanuts8888
The asking price is $11K. When I asked about maintenance, they told me that the wires and plugs were replaced. The first sales person that I talked to told me that the head gasket was replaced and I was happy to hear that. So, I thought that the 90K maintenance was done but later it was clarified that it was only the head cover gasket and that the head cover bolts were only tighten. I couldn't find any service records, they didn't produce any service records, other than the recent work they did, and Carfax didn't have any service records.

Even after all that I was willing to negotiate a final price but I'm reconsidering now. I still have a few more weeks to search before I leave, so I'm going to pass on this one and cross my fingers that the right one will present itself.
Stay away from it. If they did something as stupid and retorqueing the head bolts, she will fail ever so soon.
In the states, an 03 that is on Rovers hit list is no more then $8000, and now that they have screwed with the head bolts, it will be needing a gasket set real soon.

Quick Reply: Strongly considering purchasing 2003 DII