Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strongly considering purchasing 2003 DII

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a good price on that 03 SE7. That's a nice looking rig. Huricanes, jump seats, looks mint.
________

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TradeMarkVT
I am also about to buy an 03 DII. It has 93,000 miles and looks like it has been well taken care of. SEE HERE http://www.empireautomotivegroup.com...zip=&distance=

So, being an offroad enthusiast and first time LR buyer, I have already learned so much from this site (THANKS!) and look foward to many future threads.

I found the VIN range on this site (THANKS AGAIN!) and I am not in it! Phew (A814).

Im real excited to buy, but would like to know of any other specific threats to look for. Any info much appreciated and I will continue to browse the site!

TM

previous 4x4: 98 Jeep ZJ 5.9L V8 - 5" Skyjacker/JKS lift - ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn 8k - 33x12.5x16 TSLs - Gibson dual exhaust - K&N Cold Air = FUN
Yeah, very fair price, IMO. Try to get the service records though because it may have gremlins in it's past (and hence near future). If you're looking for things to check it wouldn't hurt to have oil pressure checked by somebody independent or yourself.

If you're looking for extreme offroad you're going to want the CDL, at least from what I'm told (I'm not a real trail junkie). If so you'll need to go with an 04 or go back to the 02 and earlier and install the linkage.

Oh and the dealership doesn't know crap about these vehicles. It's not AWD.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShortTom
If so you'll need to go with an 04 or go back to the 02 and earlier and install the linkage.

Oh and the dealership doesn't know crap about these vehicles. It's not AWD.

Hey ShortTom...not to be the land rover ****...but you actually have to go back to early 2001 (1999 DII was the first year without CDL linkage) to have the "nipple" to engage the CDL...late 2001-2003 has no "nipple" to install linkage...but you are correct about the dealership, it is full-time 4-wheel drive (gears).

Old 09-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mwindth
Hey ShortTom...not to be the land rover ****...but you actually have to go back to early 2001 (1999 DII was the first year without CDL linkage) to have the "nipple" to engage the CDL...late 2001-2003 has no "nipple" to install linkage...

Ah, I missed that in my young rover education. And **** not at all, I wanna understand the stuff.

Just to clarify the 04 models had the nipple + linkage and everything right?

Old 09-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Winching

Ah, I missed that in my young rover education. And **** not at all, I wanna understand the stuff.

Just to clarify the 04 models had the nipple + linkage and everything right?
correct...and here is an alternative to using linkage; Electronic Center Diff Lock Actuator: http://www.amv.com.au/SeriesIIDifflock.htm

Old 09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's just an electric motor for a window, with some pieces added. What is the price of that gadget?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Bundu
That's just an electric motor for a window, with some pieces added. What is the price of that gadget?
I'd like to know that myself...also are their any U.S. sellers? Sounds pretty good, but does it work for the non-nipple years? (didn't read the whole site, it might have explained).

Old 09-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Bundu
If I remember correctly (I looked into it about a year and a half ago) about $500-600 American dollars...as you know, foreign currency exchange values fluctuate...might be cheaper now that the Euro crashed

Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Winching

I'd like to know that myself...also are their any U.S. sellers? Sounds pretty good, but does it work for the non-nipple years? (didn't read the whole site, it might have explained).
No US sellers...easiest way to get in touch with them is e-mail...and no, it will not work for the non-nipple years...I think DiscoMike uses one?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing is going to work for the non-nipple years since you simply do not have a CDL enabled tcase. You need to either swap out the tcase or get the Ashcroft CDL kit to bolt on to your existing tcase.

Quick Reply: Strongly considering purchasing 2003 DII