Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strongly considering purchasing 2003 DII

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Mike says... keep looking and have patience, the right one will come along.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm more excited about finding the right truck now.

Thanks

Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peanuts8888
The asking price is $11K. When I asked about maintenance, they told me that the wires and plugs were replaced. The first sales person that I talked to told me that the head gasket was replaced and I was happy to hear that. So, I thought that the 90K maintenance was done but later it was clarified that it was only the head cover gasket and that the head cover bolts were only tighten. I couldn't find any service records, they didn't produce any service records, other than the recent work they did, and Carfax didn't have any service records.

Even after all that I was willing to negotiate a final price but I'm reconsidering now. I still have a few more weeks to search before I leave, so I'm going to pass on this one and cross my fingers that the right one will present itself.
Totally agree with everybody's assessment: the truck is overpriced and some might have some real problems covered up for a quick sale. As I mentioned before, my truck had 81k when I bought it, SE model, needed intake gaskets, and I drove away for $5,000. I think I got an exceptional deal, b/c the owner was scared of the intake gasket leak, but it's not unthinkable that you'll find a great vehicle for $7-8 range, even an '04 if you hunt a little.

Personally I hit up CL. Use the CL search site searchtempest.com and define the number of miles away from your zip you'd like to search, click go, and sort through the deals! I drove 6 hrs for my Rover, but I'm an idiot like that.

Best of luck! Post here when you decide which one to get!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Rock Crawling

if you have the time i would take it in looking for the right vehicle. Took me almost 4 months to finally find the rig i wanted and ended up finding a truck with maintenance records, 100k on truck and 68K on engine 04 Disco II SE for 7k.
Luckily the PO had already done the coils in the rear so no bags to deal with and had the front shaft rebuilt properly. If i had gone with any of the first few i am sure i would be hating life right now, but i can truly say i plan on keeping this forever.
I am even more pleased than i thought i would be and definitely use the talent in these forums. they have saved me a ton of money with the do it yourself tips in regards to the basic maintenance and what to look for to catch problems before they become full blown emergencies.

Best of luck

Old 09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree, that is too much money for what it is. Either keep searching for the right vehicle with no problems, or do what I did: read this forum for almost a year, then find a vehicle with a major problem (which you can fix yourself) for cheap. Even if the vehicle you find isn't in perfect condition, you will be rewarded in what you learn about it while fixing things. Since I bought mine 3 years ago, I have replaced the engine, performed the 60K maintenance, had the front shaft rebuilt, installed a front brush guard, installed OEM lamps and wiring on the brush guard, and am painting the headliner currently. At this point, I feel very intimate with my vehicle. There is nothing I would feel nervous about replacing or repairing.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

For reference:
I paid $12,000 in September of 2007 for a 2003 with 49,000. My 03 Disco is in the Death VIN. All service records were provided, I didn't know about the oil pump issue at time of purchase. Still great Rover at 90,040 miles turned over today!
$11,000 3 years later seems a bit expensive... though it is at a dealer.
I would say $9500 would be a good price for a 03 today @ 60k or under. Out of the Death VIN.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

$11,000 is expensive IMO. I purchased my 2003 SE7 earlier this year from a PO that had a Carfax that proved the maintenance on this vehicle. Before he purchased it, it was a lease vehicle from a dealer in Virginia where it spent its childhood up to about 10K. Then it came to California and was purchased by the PO, then finally by me. I got it with 52K on it for $9500 and let me tell you in immacualate condition! Looks brand spanking new inside, outside, underneath and under the hood!

I got lucky, mine is not in the death range (but I purchased it not knowing about this) and have done DiscoMike's 60K major maintenance myself including rebuilding my front proft shaft. I have learned so much about my truck that I know its running nicely. There is so much great information on these forums and I thank everyone for their advice.

Either keep looking for the right one, or get them down on the price, but if it was me, I'd buy one out of the Death Vin range or an 04.

Good luck on your hunt! Just be patient.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Winching

x2 11k is way too much.

Your trying to find a 99-04 in the 5k-8k (tops) range. 99-01 if your serious about taking it off road someday.

And whichever one you buy have some extra money stored somewhere for fluid changes, tune up (if needed), ujoints/bearing for the front drive shaft etc.

Shopping and buying is most of the fun. So take your time and find a gem.

________
Trichomes

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-13-2010, 04:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil Pump VIN Range

I am also about to buy an 03 DII. It has 93,000 miles and looks like it has been well taken care of. SEE HERE http://www.empireautomotivegroup.com...zip=&distance=

So, being an offroad enthusiast and first time LR buyer, I have already learned so much from this site (THANKS!) and look foward to many future threads.

I found the VIN range on this site (THANKS AGAIN!) and I am not in it! Phew (A814).

Im real excited to buy, but would like to know of any other specific threats to look for. Any info much appreciated and I will continue to browse the site!

TM

previous 4x4: 98 Jeep ZJ 5.9L V8 - 5" Skyjacker/JKS lift - ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn 8k - 33x12.5x16 TSLs - Gibson dual exhaust - K&N Cold Air = FUN

Last edited by TradeMarkVT; 09-13-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Strongly considering purchasing 2003 DII