Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stuttering and hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuttering and hesitation

I had some hesitation and stuttering when driving on high way and taking my foot of the gas. The problem went away and the car was driving just fine both on highway and in the city. Today the car started stuttering again when on the highway, but than it continued doing so to a lesser degree even when I was on the surface street and some stuttering even when I was driving, meaning my foot on the gas.

I recently wanted to change the plugs, but when I pulled them they were in good shape and they must have been replaced at some point since what is in there are Autolite double platinum and not the factory champions.

I do not have any codes and did the seafoam induction a couple of times before.

I have an ultra-gauge and have it set up to show oxygen sensor readouts on the first page, but don’t know what to do with the numbers.

Any advice suggestion to find the cause of the problem will be appreciated.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Could this be due to plugs and wires, even if there are no codes?
BTW, it was driving smooth today, but cominig to work I don't take high way, it is mostly 50mile/h streets. I did clean my MAF previously, but at that time I had MAF codes too, which were likely due to a loose MAF sensor plug.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Certainly a place to start, but with the quickness that codes are usually thrown, it does make one wonder about the other usual suspects, like Crank Position Sensor, IACV, fuel pressure, .....

Old 03-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Should not have cleaned the MAF unless you knew what the problem was and exactly how to clean it otherwise most MAF's die after being cleaned.
Who's plug wires are on your truck and how many miles on it?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Should not have cleaned the MAF unless you knew what the problem was and exactly how to clean it otherwise most MAF's die after being cleaned.
Who's plug wires are on your truck and how many miles on it?
I had MAF sensor codes previously and unfortuntely they were related to a loose MAF sensor plug. I was very carefull with the cleaning of the MAF and used MAF specific CRC and did not have any more codes.

As far as the Sparkplugs and wires are concerned, I have autolite double platinum and i think my wires are still factory. I do have Bosch IR and 8mm silicone wires ready to be installed, but without any misfire codes, I am not sure if this will fix the problem.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Certainly a place to start, but with the quickness that codes are usually thrown, it does make one wonder about the other usual suspects, like Crank Position Sensor, IACV, fuel pressure, .....
I have heard about the Crank Position Sensor problems, but does it cause problems mostly at highway speed idle and the same for fuel pressure. I have to look into Rave's to see how to check the IACV.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you already have the plugs and wires that would be the easiest place to start. Ive had the sames symptoms before and changed the plugs and wires and it cleared up. It cant hurt anything and the plugs and wires are doing no good sitting around.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

My IACV was toast and made vehicle idle at 2000, so if left in gear it would approach 50 +. Cleaning helps. CKP sensor can have failures with no codes, most other sensors can't. Fuel pressure is costly to deal with on D2 as fuel filter is integral with pump in the tank, not a cheap fix or even an easy to get to test. Plugs and wires good idea, but it seems that lots of them also bring the misfire codes. IACV cheap to remove and clean with carb cleaner, avoid moving the tip, it is a 180 - 200 position stepper motor.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
My IACV was toast and made vehicle idle at 2000, so if left in gear it would approach 50 +. Cleaning helps. CKP sensor can have failures with no codes, most other sensors can't. Fuel pressure is costly to deal with on D2 as fuel filter is integral with pump in the tank, not a cheap fix or even an easy to get to test. Plugs and wires good idea, but it seems that lots of them also bring the misfire codes. IACV cheap to remove and clean with carb cleaner, avoid moving the tip, it is a 180 - 200 position stepper motor.
Went through IACV section of rave, I know now how to take it off and what it is, but how do you clean it?
I wanted to change the wires, but it is not an easy task, some of the SAI hoses that needs to be taken off have clamps on in a way that I cannot even get to the screw to loosen it. I have no idea how they were put on.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by BMF175
Well, if you already have the plugs and wires that would be the easiest place to start. Ive had the sames symptoms before and changed the plugs and wires and it cleared up. It cant hurt anything and the plugs and wires are doing no good sitting around.
Did you have any codes?
Plugs and wires are next to be changed but as you know it is not the easiest thing to do and I have afew of those hoses upside down, where I can't even get to the clamp screw.

Quick Reply: stuttering and hesitation