Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden barrage of 16 codes, still runs

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 10:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sudden barrage of 16 codes, still runs

Bit of a doozy that's got me overwhelmed. Was driving around the other day and suddenly the CEL came on. Kept running fine, maybe just a little loss of power in general. Checked codes with my hawkeye and got blasted with 16 new codes! (I just got finished clearing codes last week after rebuilding my XYZ switch)

For preface, I just got my Rover back a few weeks ago from my indie mechanic who did a full engine swap for me with a Turner Engineering engine from the UK. Everything's been fine since getting the engine back. Now when I start the vehicle it starts every time, but while sometimes it starts immediately, other times it cranks as much as eight or ten times before starting, and in general, every start is a little different, which tells me something's wrong. But once I start driving, everything's mostly fine, even up to 80mph on the highway. I'm wondering if it's a wiring issue...

I did find this strange wire splice under the car to the back of the engine block, plugged into what looks like a sensor I'm not familiar with. Is that just a ground connection? The wires were tied together with electrical tape (which I removed) and the wire flops around under there in a way that's definitely not factory specified.

Here are the exact codes:
(Also what is with these "Unknown M 5.2.1 Code" faults??)

P0340 Camshaft Sensor Fault Value Not Plausible, present and intermittent

Fault 86, Unknown M 5.2.1 Code Minimum Value Not Reached. Fault Present and Static.

Fault 85, P0414 Secondary Air Valve Power Stage (LEV) Minimum Value Not Reached. Fault Present and Static.

Fault 98, P0445. Purge Valve Power Stage Minimum Value Not Reached. Fault Present and Static.

Fault 96, Purge Canister Ventor (or Vent or ??) DM-TL Module (LEV with 0.5mm Leak Detection) Valve Power Stage Fault Minimum Value Not Reached. Fault Present and Static.

Fault 245 P1451, DM-TL Leakage Detection Module. Motor Power Stage Error (LEV with 0.5mm Leak Detection) Minimum Value Not Reached. Fault Present and Static.

Fault 115 P0102 Air Mass Flow Meter Minimum Value Not Reached. Fault Present and Static

Fault 13 P0135 O2 Probe Heating before Catalytic Converter Minimum Value Not Reached. Fault Present and Static.

Fault 5, P0155 O2 Probe Heating before Catalytic Converter Bank 2 Minimum Value Not Reached. Fault Present and Static.

Fault 14, P0141 O2 Probe Heating behind Catalytic Converter Minimum Value Not Reached. Fault Present and Static.

Fault 4, P0161 O2 Probe Heating behind Catalytic Converter Bank … (didn’t capture the rest)

Fault 88, Unknown M 5.2.1 Code Minimum Value Not Reached.

Last edited by za105; 06-29-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Found my own answer to the strange wiring — it's a knock sensor, as shown in the electrical library. Forgot that the mechanic replaced the knock sensor for me and the replacement didn't come with any pigtail so they had to wire in to it. So that's a scratch on being a cause of all these other codes I think...

Old 06-29-2023, 11:41 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 435 Posts

Good find

Old 06-29-2023, 08:52 PM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

So I am a laymen to automobile electronics, but I know enough to be dangerous.

The O2 codes relating to minimum values may be codes relating to adaptations of the engine post swap and old cats. Maybe… again maybe…

Check out the emission O2 descriptions in the manual as it does a good job of describing how the O2 sensors operate, specifically, in relation to the condition and age of the cats.

They are pre and post heated lambda sensors, meaning they have an operating range measured in voltage dependent on the detection of oxygen.

Maybe, with the new engine and older cats, the mechanic reset the adaptations to relearn how to map for a new engine? And the voltages are out of calibration?

I was getting a heating code on my O2 sensors that was indicating that the O2 heating loop was faulty. And after researching I found out that it pops on the check engine light after the computer detects a lower O2 sensor heating range after three times.

The SAI I believe is related to that as the SAI was implemented to operate during start up to increase the flow of air during warm up and start up. Again, brush up on the description in the manual and do some online research.

The mass air flow sensor I am unsure about. Maybe verify the throttle body cable tension. Again. Not sure. Maybe it has adaptations as well? When you replaced the engine did you keep the same throttle body? And idle air controller? Vacuum solenoid?

Have you done Best’s 4x4’s PCV mod? Highly recommend it to your P’s are adequate. P meaning pressures.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people that could totally refute and correct my statements. When these things occur I find refreshing on the descriptions of the impacted system and searching the relative codes on this forum and all forums on the web.

EDIT: Don’t throw money at the O2 sensors until youve swapped the passengers and the drivers sides.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 250 Likes on 202 Posts

check your battery voltage, battery cables, and grounds.

Old 07-06-2023, 03:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the tips jastutte and wildpackoffamilydogs, I think I'm on the track of the problem. Did a swift multimeter check of all the fuses and found F2 fuse in the engine bay fuse box was blown. Upon looking at the electrical library for the Disco, I found that every one of those codes is related to sensors that are found on that blown fuse circuit—all those sensors aren't reading anything because the fuse is blown. So I replaced the fuse, cleared the codes and started again—instant blown fuse a second time. Clearly a short to ground somewhere in one of those circuits... I'll post back once I've found the short. Have a short finder circuit probe coming in the mail today to speed up the hunt.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Check behind the drivers head, there is a harness clamp there that is notorious for grounding the power out and popping that exact fuse.

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (07-07-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 10:50 AM
Rock Crawling

When you say behind the driver's head, do you mean the driver's headrest?