Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Sudden Not Starting Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 10:21 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The Sudden Not Starting Situation ::..

Hello Rovers!

My 2002 Disco S2 SE with over 206K miles came up when something new today. This morning at around 8:45am, when going to work, truck started OK as usual, and drove off with no issues -a 15 miles drive aprox.

At around 2pm I went to lunch, and it started OK also, but immediately after I felt it a little jumpy or idling rough -the usual "misfiring" feeling, but very mild; so I knew a few codes would be showing up soon; in the past this rough idle or misfiring happens, usually resulting in no more than 3 misfiring codes; Sometimes I clear them up after grabbing a screenshot, or after a few day the symptoms just go away like it never happened; this happens every now and then, so I know that sooner or later, this would come and bite me in the wallet!

So off I drove to lunch, and still felt a bit jumpy. Drive was short, parked and went to eat. When I came back to go back to work, truck started, but immediately shut off after a few sputters, then it took a while for it to start again. This has never happened before. It cranked like if had no gas, or it was hard to get, or simply battery wasn't strong enough; but I'm sure these are not the culprit.

I popped the hood, looked for any visible issues,, checked oil and coolant levels since I knew I hadn't topped them off recently -there are a few visible oil leaks (around valve covers, also looks wet around head gaskets; there's seems to be a leak that I cannot figure out exactly where it's from around oil filter area); so I regularly have to top it off, and this time it needed about a quart; I also topped off the coolant since there's a small leak in the plastic "Y" that joins coolant hoses from thermostat to pipe to water pump -I already bought the part (PEH000080), but haven't had time to replace it yet. But after topping all fluids and elevating prayers to the Land Rover God to not leave me stranded, it finally started and I was able to drive back to work.

I took a screenshot of the codes that showed up -CEL came immediately on, these were: P0300, P0301, P0306, P1300, P0304, and P1319, in that order. I cleared them up; shut the engine off, and went to work.

Time came to go home at around 6:15pm, and it did it again, didn't want to start; popped the hood again, looked around for I don't know what; thought about leaving it there since there's a shop that I visit regularly close by and it would be easier to have it checked in the morning; but suddenly it started, so I decided to drive 15 miles back home. I felt it misfiring lightly if I pressed the gas a bit hard, so did it gently; CEL came on again, but drive back home went OK; misfiring feeling went away.

Wanted to have the battery checked at an Advance Auto Parts on my way home just in case, but their machine was damaged. Truck did start OK when leaving AAP; arrived at home, parked; and have been dwelling what these symptoms might be, and if it will start tomorrow to go to work, or what to do if it doesn't. Either way something is up, and need to figure out what it may be and try to solve it.

Codes that came up on my way home were: P0301, P1300, P0306 and P1319; these I have not cleared yet.

I usually replace oil & filter every 5K miles; did it recently 1K miles aprox ago; oil comes out as usual, dark, with no traces of coolant, and truck has never overheated.

Wires are 8mm Blue Kingsborne, and were replaced a year ago, along with spark plugs; by the way, had to retap cyl 1, since plug in that cylinder was not seating well since I bought the truck, so finally had that fixed.

Any hints as to what to look for will be greatly appreciated, thank you all in advance! ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 05-21-2021 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil leak

As far as the oil leak goes check the port above the oil filter. My mechanic showed me how it can leak. They have O rings that deteriorate and need replacing. O ring is a few cents likely. Hope that helps

Old 06-18-2021, 08:44 AM
Winching

..:: UPDATE ::..

Truck still cranks but does not start.

I've taken it to two shops, first was a friend who insists it is the timing chain, but was charging $1200 to replace it, although he is not a savvy LR mechanic. I was told by another mechanic to start by changing the Crankshaft Sensor, so I bought it and tried to have my friend replace it, although he insisted that it is the timing chain. After a week he said he replaced it, and since it did not start, he put the old one back in. I had my doubt he actually changed it, so planned to tow the truck to another mechanic, a "more savvy LR shop" who was the one that recommended to change the Sensor first, before moving onto anything else. When I went to pick up the truck at my friend's, he handed me the part I bought for him to replace with clear signs that he did not attempt to replace it, but I preferred to say nothing. He insisted it is the timing chain, and that I either replace it, or simply "junk" the truck, since more troubles will come ahead -he sold me the truck 7yrs ago. I told him I will take it to free up his space, and if anything, I would bring it back.

I took the truck to other shop that suggested the part to replace, so left both truck and part for them to replace and move forward. After a week or so of truck parked at their place,, they finally replace it and truck still cranked, but no start, so the sensor might not had been the culprit. They went on to check fuel pump and line, nothing there, gas was being pumped with no issues. There's a spark, so no issues there. They checked compression and told me driver side reports 90 when it should at least be 120, so they suggest this is part of the issue and opted for not checking anymore. They recommended I consider replacing the engine, at which point I decided to tow it away and park it, until I decided what to do next.

Most definitely I will not be replacing the engine, it would set me back 5K-7K, an expensive job for this old truck (2002), don't think it is worth it.

So here I'm debating if to junk it for a couple bucks; sending it back to my friend's to give it a try replacing the timing chain; or offer it as it anywhere.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! ;-]#

Old 06-18-2021, 09:42 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

With the multiple misfires, have you considered the ignition coils? You replaced the wires and plugs a year ago. Your codes relate to misfires on both sides of the block, and "general" misfire codes. Your description of hard start, rough idle and going away sounds like what I had a few years back. Replaced the coils and the issues have not returned.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

A CPS acting up can cause all sorts of issues and I don't touch brand new non Bosch units! Been there done that! The only part I am very strict about = OEM Bosch CPS sensor. The BWD's and other off brands = DO NOT WORK some right out of the box, some die 2 days later. So many things could be causing this from coils, wires, spark plugs, fuel pump, to injectors.

Last edited by Best4x4; 06-18-2021 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 09:56 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Sounds like one of those $80 part could fix this problem. I would change the coil packs and cps sensor and see what happens.

adolfojbonilla (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 11:52 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by matt3502
With the multiple misfires, have you considered the ignition coils? You replaced the wires and plugs a year ago. Your codes relate to misfires on both sides of the block, and "general" misfire codes. Your description of hard start, rough idle and going away sounds like what I had a few years back. Replaced the coils and the issues have not returned.
Thanks for your input matt3502! ...no, I have not considered it, and hopefully shop truck is in would had to, I'm guessing ...or simply they are going the easy way out and just suggesting an engine replacement.
I did change then coils some years back, did it myself. I wouldn't want to start throwing parts at it, but I guess it would come down to that before having to get inside the engine.
So far sensor has been replaced and no luck. Supposedly fuel pump and lines were checked, and no luck. Supposedly they checked for sparks, and plenty there. Dunno for sure if starter was checked, but I want to believe yes. And if they really checked compression, I'm guessing passenger side bank is OK, since they did not mention anything on that side, just on driver side. Again, I'll park it and try to regroup before pulling the trigger having to dig deeper into the engine, or ending buying a new car... decisions ...decisions.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:58 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Best4x4
A CPS acting up can cause all sorts of issues and I don't touch brand new non Bosch units! Been there done that! The only part I am very strict about = OEM Bosch CPS sensor. The BWD's and other off brands = DO NOT WORK some right out of the box, some die 2 days later. So many things could be causing this from coils, wires, spark plugs, fuel pump, to injectors.
I hear you. Unfortunately I bought the Advance Auto Parts CPS sensor, needed it quick to make sure Sensor wasn't the culprit. You're the second one to mention the coil packs, so I better start looking into that, eventhough it is a pain to replace, but it is something I can do, thanks for the push! ...and I guess it would be worth it to get a new Bosch sensor and also replace it myself, hopefully I'll be able to return the AAP one I bought. ;-]#

Old 06-18-2021, 12:01 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Sounds like one of those $80 part could fix this problem. I would change the coil packs and cps sensor and see what happens.
I'm totally with you! ...I took it away from first mechanic since I doubted it was a timing chain issue, it didn't feel right. Now I'm taking it away from 2nd mechanic since I simply think they did not want to deal with it. So I'll replace what I can, one at the time, and hopefully solve the issue before having to spend big bucks. Thanks for the push!

Wheelspin (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 02:09 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

FWIW, Your compression test the mechanic did and your trouble codes do not jibe. You have code 0301 (drivers side #1) and 0304,0306( passenger side #4 & #6).

adolfojbonilla (06-19-2021)

Quick Reply: ..:: The Sudden Not Starting Situation ::..