Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Sudden Not Starting Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 11:41 AM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvlr
It started the first time when using jumper cables, then with a new battery. Is your alternator giving you a full charge?
I had to use jumper cables on Saturday, after replacing all necessary parts. the old batt was on, which I had charged at the beginning of the week and when picked up I was told it had a bad cell, but charged. That is the battery that after all parts replaced we jumped as a last resource and the truck came to life. Next day I bought a new battery, and it started without issues since, until truck died again last night.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:48 AM
Winching

Further to the charging thought, are all the charging related cable connections clean? Including any ground connections? Is the engine to body ground connected? I don’t think this is a problem on D2’s, but on my P38 I added a heavy cable going directly from the alternator to the battery. This solved a slow starting issue for me. The original cables (on the P38) seem to be marginally large enough when the vehicle is new.
I'll take a look at this, just in case, but from what I recall, no issues there, but I'll look it over.
What bugs me is that it shut off after braking in traffic on a stop light, with no signs or lights,, except for the O2 sensor code and the p1668, both under "pending".
Along my trip there was traffic on the highway and I had to brake for slow traffic, so thankful it did not leave me stranded at that point, but when I was in a "better place". Since it startled a bit when I started my drive home, I was weary that something was off, but again, no other indications, then what I have already explained... what a pickle!

Old 06-30-2021, 11:50 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Also a good mod is the cps cover. Wrap the inside and outside with aluminum foil
...reminds me of all those windows I see covered up in tin foil, but can you explain further why you recommend that?

Old 06-30-2021, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Further to the charging thought, are all the charging related cable connections clean? Including any ground connections? Is the engine to body ground connected? I don’t think this is a problem on D2’s, but on my P38 I added a heavy cable going directly from the alternator to the battery. This solved a slow starting issue for me. The original cables (on the P38) seem to be marginally large enough when the vehicle is new.
From what I am reading/understanding from the OP is it turns over, but does not fire up. Classic CPS issue & then dies once out on the road yet another classic CPS issue, then generic vs Bosch, and finally no cover. Sounds like one of those airplane disaster scenarios you see on TV.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 12:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Wait?
He has a generic CPS on there?

bruh.........

Old 06-30-2021, 12:08 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Best4x4
From what I am reading/understanding from the OP is it turns over, but does not fire up. Classic CPS issue & then dies once out on the road yet another classic CPS issue, then generic vs Bosch, and finally no cover. Sounds like one of those airplane disaster scenarios you see on TV.
Thanks for the smiles! ...but yes, did not replace new Carquest CSP with new Bosch received, and yes, left it without the cover since I did not have the screws for it; I found the cover by luck; had the screw I was working on not fallen to the ground and me start looking for it, I would not have realized that mechanic #2 did not put the cover back on.
Just to rule out any issues there, I'll replace the sensor and put the cover back on; but again, truck did not start this morning, not even after cooling off overnight, which is the reason why I guess some people throw water at it. But I guess I should start there for now. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:11 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Wait?
He has a generic CPS on there?

bruh.........
HEHEHE, yup!... truth be told, it started with the new generic on after being dead for a month, and no cover ...in addition, new kingsborne wires, NGK plugs and Bosch coils were also installed ...and recently a new battery

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 06-30-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:12 PM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

Best, you’re probably right. Due to it firing right up with jumpers, as well as with a fresh battery, I thought the charging system should be at least checked though. I definitely have no notions that I might know these vehicles anywhere near as well as you do.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Best, you’re probably right. Due to it firing right up with jumpers, as well as with a fresh battery, I thought the charging system should be at least checked though. I definitely have no notions that I might know these vehicles anywhere near as well as you do.
Never hurts to check the charging system or clean the terminals!

Old 07-03-2021, 01:12 PM
Winching

..:: UPDATE ::..

Hello Roverers!

So I went down to my truck with the intent to replace the CSP sensor with a new Bosch; but before, I went under the car to study how I would approach it, since I'm a heavy guy and would need to figure out how and where to position myself to do it "comfortably".
I see that the muffler might be in the way, so I have to give it some thought first.
While the hood was up, and now with a bit more patience than when the truck left me stranded a couple days ago, I followed a recommendation given here and checked all wires were fitted in place.
Three wires on driver side weren't plugged in correctly, so they were lose -reason why I may have felt the slight rough idling of engine after last Saturday job; now all 8 wires have been checked and firmly in place. I also tie-wrapped them neatly away from SAI pipes, or any other heat source, in fact, a couple were already slightly browned from having touched the hot pipes. Gotta follow the recommendation given to buy some shielding fabric for the pipes, very necessary.
Once all was fitted, battery connections tightened, I fired it up and it came alive once again. I shut it off and fired back on a couple times with no issues. In fact, it does actually sounds nice and steady.
I decided to keep it running for a while, while I gather all stuff I took out to work with, and put it away. After some time running, I shut it off and tried to start it again ...and no start ...I tried twice, and no luck ...so definitely it does not start when something gets hot.
It's been off for a couple of hours now, hoping that when it cools off, whatever it is, it will start again. If so, would it actually be the CSP sensor then?
Either way I'll change it later, once the sun goes down a bit.
Let me know your thoughts, thanks I'm advance, and have a nice & safe 4th of July! ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 07-03-2021 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: ..:: The Sudden Not Starting Situation ::..