Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggested Scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggested Scanner?

I'm looking for a code reader for my Disco II. Suggestions?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

do you have Ace and do you have air suspension?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That cheap unit from harbor freight, coupled with a 20% coupon from a local paper = cheapest code reader for generic OBD2 codes. I've had it for four years, and used it on countless vehicles. I had a more expensive unit that always had issues connecting with a vehicle using the J1942.
Luckily, someone twocked it, so I got a superior unit, and they got a problem.

If you want an all-in-one that does everything from ABS to SLS and body module, then there are many $$$ opinions!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Mudding

The air suspension was taken out for springs.

ACE?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Consider the Ultra Gauge, about $70, will read and reset basic OBDII codes, plus provide real time data data display, like coolant temp, and allow alarm points you set (like 220F), about $70 and changes the "wonder how hot it really is" to a much higher pucker factor.

See UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Depends on what you want from a scanner, here is my short list for one that will cover all D2 issues, the Hawkeye, found at Atlantic British or DAP, or the 3130 found at , CanOBD2.com - Tools and purchased at Amazon for around $134.
If all you want is a 3 Amigo scanner the buy it from RSWsolutions,com

Old 06-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Mudding

Ditto on the ultra gauge, mine saved me from running my truck with a thermostat that was on it's way out. That idiot light temp gauge in the dash is useless because my truck spiked to 220 and it didn't budge. I however immediately broke out in a cold sweat, my *** went from half dollar to a penny and I pulled my truck over. Lucky for me I was only 2 miles from home so I was able to get it back with it hovering around 215. Moral of the story, knowing what your actual engine temp is will save it.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Consider the Ultra Gauge, about $70, will read and reset basic OBDII codes, plus provide real time data data display, like coolant temp, and allow alarm points you set (like 220F), about $70 and changes the "wonder how hot it really is" to a much higher pucker factor.

See UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool
Oh ****, that's cool. What I'm mostly interested in is the codes. When my wife picked it up from the shop last oil change (I know, I know, I know, I've been working too much), George at Shadetree Automotive in Delaware (can't recommend him enough for Rovers, Jags, old Benzs, andy import really) reset the check Engine light that was on again and just said it was a misfiring sensor and no big deal. So, my wife, being astute like she always is, didn't bother to ask which codes they were.

So, I'm looking for a reader, but to have one that does realtime stuff like that too is pretty cool.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the scanners from black box solutions? they seem to have a lot of features for the d2.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Rock Crawling

+3 (or was it 4?) on the ultra gauge if all you want to know is codes. To be honest unless you fork over a lot of cash for a scanner the only thing you can rely on in a scanner is codes anyways. You cant really trust the descriptions as they're generic not vehicle specific. The ultragauge also gives you the benefit of a bunch of useful real time data on while you're driving, most importantly engine temp.

Quick Reply: Suggested Scanner?