Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sump drop... Tranny lines killing me

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sump drop... Tranny lines killing me

Some of you may have pieced together the series of posts that have gone with this problem of mine... first the false blame placed on Blue Devil for low oil pressure, then the stuck frame cross member while trying to drop the sump... now, it's the upper, drivers side, rear facing bolt on the oil sump that is hidden behind two hard lines (that I believe are tranny cooling lines.)

I've tried from the bottom, from the top, from the side and finally got SHMBO under the car to guide the wrench as I layed on top of the engine block to reach down and snake a wrench in there. No dice... can't get a wrench or socket on it.

I can move the lines a little without disconnecting them, but not quite enough to get a socket onto them... at first I thought it was a 13mm, but I found a 1/2in fits perfectly on the other three rear facing sump bolts. Do I need to be disconnecting these liens prior to dropping the sump, because that step is certainly not in the RAVE.

As always, thank you.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

no, just loosen the line hangers (usually the oil pan bolts) and push the lines out of your way. a small budgee cord works great no need to disconnect

Old 06-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No need to take them loose from the trans cooler either if you're pulling the radiator. Undo the one screw on the passenger side of the radiator holding the cooler on, and you can pull the cooler loose from the drivers side mounting tab and slide the radiator out.

I was able to remove the bolt in question on mine by loosening the line mount tabs from the pan and just gently moving the out of the way. I used a normal short socket and an extension. Wasn't too difficult.
Hope that helps.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it,

I ended up loosening the lines everywhere they were attached including in the engine compartment.

The real problem was the bolt that was behind it was not original and had a different head size than its mates so I was going at it with the wrong socket while nursing those lines, no wonder I couldn't get the socket on there.

As usual I was being too delicate.

Got the sump off and found a solid inch of sludge in the bottom of the pan... dirty scrubbing.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

be sure you clean the pickup good luck