Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof leaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof leaks

Took the headliner off, figured I should fix the sunroofs as well. I found that my PO patched the sunroofs before, but he either did a bad job or the sunroof drains are clogged. Any ideas on how to fix these?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Remove the tray by pulling those torx screws (10-14 or so). Remove the plastic corners, clean all of the old sealant from both parts, and reinstall with new RTV.

The following users liked this post:
Kieffs (01-10-2018)
Old 12-23-2017, 12:13 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

This is such a simple job to seal these drain trays properly. A blind monkey could do this correctly.
I'm just always amazed how people seem to HALF A$$ this repair.

If you find when you remove the Silicone Booger that the trays are too far gone (they shouldn't be) you can find used ones, or get a set of metal trays > https://www.steveparkers.com/product...ut-repair-kit/

Old 12-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Spend the time and do it right. Do it completely; once and then done. First check the roof rail seals and make sure that are good and are snugged up. Then remove the sunroof motors disconnect the drain tubes and make sure they are clear. Remove the torx screws holding the sunroof trays up and remove the tray. Lift the sunroof assembly straight up and out of the roof. Might be stuck and may require a little pressure to remove. Clean the old adhesive from the sunroof assembly and clean the mating surface on the roof. Now that you have the tray out: clean all of the old adhesive off that attaches the drain tube connectors at the corners. Reattach those corners and seal properly. I used epoxy and then covered over with a good adhesive caulk. I also sealed the areas where the sun blinds attach to the try. While the tray is out: it is possible to seal both sides of the drain attachment. Once the roof and the sunroof assemble has been properly cleaned it can be reinstalled with a proper adhesive. Some people chose to use a bead of caulk but I chose to use 3m trim adhesive as I had used to reattach my wheel arch trim. You can purchase it at most auto parts stores and the adhesive I used was 1/4” wide. This held the roofs on my D1 for many years without issues. Now you can put the sunroof assembly back into place and reattach the lower tray. The drain tubes are long enough that you can cut them back about an inch to get to fresh tube to make the attachment snug. Reattach the motor and open the roof and make sure everything is properly cleaned and the seal is lubricated: also check and adjust as need to have proper closure.

Go to drive thru car wash and check for leaks. Also inspect the top corners of the windshield. I seem to remember a TSB that addressed this issue by resealing the outside area at the top of the A pillar.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

Yes check the rubber corner on the windshield, it is very prone to leaking I actually had pin needles under mine.

I have attached the TSB for windshield leaks

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
water_ingress_to_headliner.pdf (170.8 KB, 85 views)