Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sunroof sticking clackety clack

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof sticking clackety clack

I posted before and the feedback all indicated the same thing- lube all moving parts with lithium grease, which I did a few times over but the problem remained.
After awhile I noticed something- when I press the open button the window motor engages and a slight upward movement begins but then- nothing. then, maybe 5 seconds later, "CLACK" and the thing pops up.
Now I have started a manual assist- right when it hesitates I push the glass upwards with my hand and sure enough it pops up right away- still with the clack sound but not as pronounced since I'm relieving some pressure.
I have to conclude that the sunroof is somehow sticking to whatever it rests upon when closed- weatherstripping? it will not stick if I've been opening and closing it frequently- its only after a period of rest, as if the sun or the elements do their work in making it stick.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need a new sun roof assembly, in the mean time quit playing with it or one day it will jam, part way open and there will be nothing you can do when it rains out.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

You will have to remove the headliner to get access to the sunroof assembly. It's not difficult replacing the assembly. Just make sure the new one is in good order.

Also inspect the track and make sure nothing is lodged in anywhere.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Mudding

Thanks. I feared I might need a new assembly. However can someone point out just what might be happening? I'm overly analytical and this problem is buggin me bad. If everything is lubed correctly and nothing is broken then just what causes this apparent sunroof "stick"?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think it is just from wear, it will wear out faster if it is not lubed when it is supposed to be, and if you have to assume that the previous owner never lubed it.
Mine sticks too so I just dont use it, you may choose to fix yours and thats fine, with it open it always messes up my hair.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing sunroofs are good for is holding up the headliner..

Old 08-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some plastic bushings on the glass assembly that wear out, break apart and go away leaving loose parts that catch on the track when you try to open it. They pop loose from the bind and you hear the clack.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
There are some plastic bushings on the glass assembly that wear out, break apart and go away leaving loose parts that catch on the track when you try to open it. They pop loose from the bind and you hear the clack.
Yup! I had this problem. One was missing. So, I took an appropriately sized rubber o-ring lubed it up and squeezed in that spot. Works like a charm. No more clackity clack and it moves smoothly when I open and close it along the rail. Brilliant!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98roverguy
Yup! I had this problem. One was missing. So, I took an appropriately sized rubber o-ring lubed it up and squeezed in that spot. Works like a charm. No more clackity clack and it moves smoothly when I open and close it along the rail. Brilliant!
I 2nd this. When you look in the track on both sides, you can clearly see where the play is. Just press on some new o rings to take up the slack from the old worn ones. I did this on both the front and rear sunroofs and have not had any problems since. Oddly, it was the passenger side bushing that was worn on both sunroofs. Out of silly curiosity, were all your bushings worn, or just on one side like mine?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Three Wheeling

mine does the same thing. Going out now to check into it.

Quick Reply: sunroof sticking clackety clack