Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroofs and windows not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Sunroofs and windows not working

Every once and a while (its happened at least 4 times in the past couple of months) when I hop in and start my DII, the windows and sunroofs will not work. I can cycle the ignition switch and they will start working. Is this most likely the switch starting to fail?

Other things may not work also, I just happen to notice the windows and sunroofs because they are the 1st thing I open when I get in.

Last edited by acamato; 08-05-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Both are controlled by the BCU, which would be the first thing I would look at.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If it was the BCU wouldn't it happen intermittently driving down the road? It seems to be related to the the cycling of the ignition switch. The issue has always been right after start up and never after driving for a while. I have been able to resolve the issue with one cycle of the ignition switch.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity, does your HVAC system work when this happens?

I've noticed that sometimes when I start my Rover, the HVAC stays dead and can't be started. In my case, it is because the switch is in a "limbo" mode between the engine start position and the "on" position.

I just tap the key back to the "on" position and everything is fine. No need to shut the engine off. I've never tried the windows when the car is in this state.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by 99Discovery

I've noticed that sometimes when I start my Rover, the HVAC stays dead and can't be started. In my case, it is because the switch is in a "limbo" mode between the engine start position and the "on" position.

I just tap the key back to the "on" position and everything is fine. No need to shut the engine off. I've never tried the windows when the car is in this state.
Next time it happens, I won't be so quick to cycle the ignition switch I will check to see what does and doesn't work.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by 99Discovery

It happened again the other day. The HVAC didnt work also. I forgot to check the position of the key. Next time I try to turn it toward the ON position.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I would lool at possibly removing your interior fuse block looking for curosion.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:17 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

I remember chasing a similar batch of issues down to the interior fuse box. There's a large multifunction controller in the box that's not removable. It's like the old MFU in the DI's but at least on that model you could replace it in a matter of minutes.