Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super-lock? PS front door won't open - replaced actuator

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Super-lock? PS front door won't open - replaced actuator

Hi all,

Since I have purchased my newest DII several months ago I have been going though and fixing things as I have time.

My passenger side front door has not worked since purchase. The door would open from inside and outside when unlocked but, once locked, I would have to reach over and unlock the door manually from the interior door handle. As this was a pain its was livable for some time. That time has come and gone.

I pulled the actuator and tried repairing (actually made no progress) before ordering a brand new factory replacement from LR.

I went through the reinstallation process carefully making sure everything was hooked up correctly and made sure the door was not in a bind once closed. ( I was worried it might be since I had to remove window frame). Door is not in any kind of bind. When the new actuator was first installed I could open and close the door with both handle until it is locked. However, when I lock it now the interior handle unlocks it as it always has but then the door will not open. Right when I noticed this I was able to reach in the door (still had the panel off) and pull down on the exterior handle connecting rod and get the door to open.

After a few days passed this method of getting the door open no longer worked. I started researching possible explanations everywhere. The only thing I can find that sounds like my problem is located here () but this is just to get the door open. It doesn't give a solution to the "super-lock". I also found this but the actuator pictured is for a P38.

I have since gotten the door open and can open it by pulling exterior door rod like I was right after installation.

Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a photo (the best I could get) of the inside of door where actuator is hooked up.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I think super lock is more of a whole truck "i cant get doors open" thing rather than just a single door but i could be wrong. Check the wiring to the actuator to see if it is even getting power for it to unlock

Old 01-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
I think super lock is more of a whole truck "i cant get doors open" thing rather than just a single door but i could be wrong. Check the wiring to the actuator to see if it is even getting power for it to unlock
Thanks Saturnine, the harness is getting power to the actuator, that was first thing I checked before swapping out old actuator. I can hear the actuator working just not allowing me to open the door.