Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Door Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 05:37 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Door Stuck

I recently purchased a really nice 2002 Discovery II. It has a few minor problems but currently what is giving me grief is that the driver side passenger door will not open. It acts like it is still locked and no pushing or pulling or cursing will open it. I have taken the door panel off but I cannot see how to mechanically open the door. I suspect I need to replace the door latch assembly, but I cannot do that until I can open the door. I would really like someone with experience to give me some guidance on how to get the door open. Once I do that, I should be able to replace the door latch assembly myself. Please advise.

Ed

Old 12-09-2017, 09:11 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by CavSoldier3ACR
I recently purchased a really nice 2002 Discovery II. It has a few minor problems but currently what is giving me grief is that the driver side passenger door will not open. It acts like it is still locked and no pushing or pulling or cursing will open it. I have taken the door panel off but I cannot see how to mechanically open the door. I suspect I need to replace the door latch assembly, but I cannot do that until I can open the door. I would really like someone with experience to give me some guidance on how to get the door open. Once I do that, I should be able to replace the door latch assembly myself. Please advise.

Ed
can you tell if the electronics are working and it still can poer the door locks?

Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 AM
4th Gear

I think the problem is either with the door lock mechanism or the actuator. The window motor works fine. I am looking for advice on how to mechanically open the door so I can replace the parts that I think need to be replaced. When I use the key fob to open the doors I do hear or feel the actuator doing anything. The door acts like it is locked and will not unlock.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:50 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

The torx screw is between the doors. I wonder how youll be able to remove that without opening the door. Unless, you try turning some linkages and the actuator shaft inside. Still figuring it out. Cant even figure out how you were able to remove the panel when some screws between the door and the seats. Good though

Last edited by LR03NJ; 12-09-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:33 AM
4th Gear

On the rear door there are only three screws that are easily accessed from inside the vehicle. After that, you only need to pop the panel off. Now I am dead in the water if I cannot figure out how to mechanically unlock the door.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Drifting

So there is no response from the door handle inside or out. Does the door move at all, i had a problem with that flat bar (door pin holder) inside my rear door, which exploded and my door wouldn't open all the way. two bolts attached to the door in the joint. barely could get in there to remove the door pin and two bolts.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:23 PM
4th Gear

The door acts like it is locked and will not unlock. I cannot budge it at all.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Sounds Superlocked to me, I have a D2 I'm working on for a friend, and the RF Door is Superlocked. I removed the black trim seal from the top of the door and can barely see the lock.

I honestly think I'm going to remove the right rear door, and just use a sawzall and cut the door strike off, replace the lock and the strike and call it a day.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Remove the black lower window trim on the inside of the door. Should just pop out. You can then use something long and push on the lock mechanism to release the latch. I cant remember from the top of my head what you push down on, but that is how I have had to open a couple disco doors from the inside.