Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supporting mods with lift?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default supporting mods with lift?

have decided to go with 235/85r16 tires and old man emu medium duty springs/shocks.

with roughly 32" tires and only a 2" lift, are there any other modifications required to achieve full articulation?

i.e. longer brake lines, longer wheel sensor cables, bent watts link bar, sway bar disconnects, etc? I'd like to put the full kit together in one swing.

also, i remember seeing something about using the rear coils on the front and only buying one set of new coils for the rear? can't remember if this was in reference to a d1 or d2?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I'd remove the front bolted on crossmember near the front drive shaft as it will probably make contact with the drive shaft under full articulation.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

I totally removed my rear sway bar. No troubles on the road, so no worries there. Actually, removing it made my 75+ mph handling better. She no longer walks around on the interstate.

I also made my own sway bar disconnects for the front. Check out my signature for that.

as it would be, I actually have rear coils on the front. It creates 3.5" of lift in the front. OME will not create that much lift and therefore if you go that route you'll need the OME springs plus 2" spacers for the rear. With that much lift, you'll need either the bent watts link or, the route I would recommend, doing a rear panhard conversion. That said, you'll need a welder to do that. With that much lift you'll also want longer sensors and extended brake lines. Also, at that height, you'll want to cut and weld lower shock mounts even with the OME shocks. I've got a wrote up for the front, can't remember if I did for the rear or not.

now, if you choose to stick with all OME springs (honestly, I recommend it unless you want to go to 34"+ tires in the future. It will keep your center of gravity lower and you actually may get more articulation out of them. You also wont need (though you may want) extended steel brake lines. Extended ABS cables wont be necessary. I would still recommend the panhard conversion.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

definitely don't want to go taller than 2". Is there any quality/performance difference between the terrafirma and ome springs and shocks?

Old 07-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Is there any quality/performance difference between the terrafirma and ome springs and shocks?
Asking the important questions! OME makes amazing stuff, I just wonder if it's worth the significant increase in price of Terrafirma.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I also just stumbled onto RTE. After reading terrafirma's sight it's apparent that their "2 inch" springs are really 3" unless you have steel bumpers and a winch, etc. Not that I wouldn't like those things in the future, but for now I don't have them nor do I want them. However the Rte Springs are advertised as a true 2" lift.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Just remember though the TF's might be 3inches out of the box, but once they settle you'll probably be more like 2.5inch without any extra weight on em. TF makes 3 spring rates, Light Duty, Medium Duty, and Heavy Duty. If you want it to be 2.0 without accessories then go with the Light Duty setup.

Just get the proper spring rate for your load.

I have the TF 2.0 Medium Lift on my Kalahari and before I slapped on bumpers F/R and winch the ride was rather bumpy. After I put the weight on it (like the springs were rated for) the ride is awesome. Very happy with my TF springs, but next time I'll clear coat the heck out of em before I install them as the paint is kinda thin.

Last edited by Best4x4; 07-29-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
definitely don't want to go taller than 2". Is there any quality/performance difference between the terrafirma and ome springs and shocks?
If you are going to do all that was suggested for the 2" lift I would seriously consider doing the 3". It's the same money if you get the RTE coils ( which are great by the way, RTE doesn't get enough credit) and I can almost guarantee when you get that 2" lift you will wish you had gone with the 3"

I started with a stock discovery and did the 2" thinking the exact same thing you were thinking, mild lift and 32" tires. It looked good but instantly I knew I should have gone with the 3". As I added all the accessories that I got CRAZY deals on ( SD rack $400, ARB front $300, AB rear $300, 33" BFG AT's $200 each shipped) I came time to go with the 3" RTE's. Got lucky and sold my 2" RTE's to a guy for $200, hell I still had the box and plastic they came in. They still looked brand new. Swapped in the 3" RTE's and finally had the setup that truly looked good and functioned well.

Just one guys story but I know as soon as I saw the 2" installed that I would go to the 3".

Attached Thumbnails supporting mods with lift?-image.jpg  
Old 07-29-2016, 11:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

i believe +2" shocks & springs do not require any additional upgrades. You may need an adjustable pan-hard bar though. It should be fine without radiused-arms/bushings but this thread has a full set of HD radiused-arms on +2" TF
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...us-arms-60600/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-bushes-73016/

3"+ requires a more involved kit to maintain ride quality and maximize off-road capabilities.

Last edited by chubbs878; 07-30-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

After doing more reading I'm conflicted on the TF vs. Ome kit. From what I understand, the medium tf and HD ome kits are basically they same lengths and spring rates. However, ome claims that their Springs will last longer without sagging, plus they have a lot more spring options. Im worried that the tf Springs will be too tall without bumpers and winch and will cause problems but I'm also worried about getting the ome medium Springs and not be happy with them when/if I decide to add weight. Im thinking about doing ome HD rear Springs to compensate for the usual 300lb or so of gear I usually bring on trips, and the medium front Springs. That way I'm already set up ok on the rear and I can upgrade to HD front Springs if / when the time comes. After reading the one site thoroughly, this seems to be the configuration they recommend for people without heavy gewr

Quick Reply: supporting mods with lift?