Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from ACE to sway bars, got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Switching from ACE to sway bars, got some questions

So I am thinking that I might want to get rid of my ACE system. There are a couple of reasons for this, let me know if my thinking is wrong. The big one is I am working on making my land rover as dependable as possible, and the ACE system is just another pump that could go out and more hoses and such to have fluid leak from. If I got a set of stock or thicker than stock sway bars would the handling be much worse? I mean it is not like I am going to attack the corners in my disco 2 or anything but will it be noticeably worse? Are there aftermarket sway bars available? Also how does the ACE work when off roading, meaning does it affect articulation like sway bars do? If I were to pull the ACE system off of my rover would it be very difficult to add the stock sway bars and brackets? I am also working on getting every last MPG out of my disco and spinning another pump has to effect it some, even if it just a small amount. Anyone out there done this before? Any input you could give me would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Old 04-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Ace is better on and offroad. I wish I had it. I do not see many post about ACE problems.

Willie

Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Here is a good video, at about 3 min into it talks about ace on and offroad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM_Lw6iuYvI

Willie

Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Three Wheeling

The ACE system is an excellent system when it works. I removed mine when the seals in my ACE block needed replacement. I spent $90 on a front and rear sway bar for a Disco 2 at a local junkyard. It took me about 3 hrs to remove the Ace lines (which are a bitch to remove without damaging them), pump,block and replace the serpentie belt with a non-ACE belt. All in all, there is little difference that I can detect using the non-Ace swaybars either on or offroad. I would wait until you have a problem with the system that forces you to change it out instead of paying for an expensive repair.