Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swivel recovery pins and shackles

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not questioning it's authenticity, simply stating that the price in general is outrageous. In terms of weight of materials used to build it, machining required and assembly effort (as in none) there isn't much there. Also, I'm not too impressed by the fact that it includes genuine Land Rover hardware. I have plenty of genuine hardware on my Land Rover that's crap.

I'm surprised no one has found a domestic source that offers a comparable piece for a better price. In Europe, they use these tow jaws in place of pintle hitches and have them in a full range of load ratings. All I have found in the States are ones that are intended for use on trams and such with much higher capacity ratings.

Another cheaper option for a stout front recovery point is to go this route: -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated I have plenty of 3/4 shackles so these would work great for me. You could also just bolt a good set of tow hooks with backing plates on the bottom of the bumper. Doesn't give you that Camel Trophy look but certainly has a more reasonable price.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Agreed, some Land Rover genuine parts are poorly made, no question there. This part is very stout, it's not poorly made and is not "lightly made".

It is expensive, but the built quality and for what you get it's really not that much compared to its competition.

The Expedition setup you offered is nice, but not THAT much cheaper, and certainly doesn't give you the ease of use that the camel trophy style point does. The EE version is:
Bracket: $35
Mounting Plate: $15
D-shackle from them: $15
Mounting hardware: $? Doesn't list a price.

So for around $70, you get a piece that isn't quick release, and isn't as strong.

That's only a $15 difference, which in my opinion isn't that much but to each their own.

I don't mean to argue, I just don't think it's so outrageously priced for what it is. Land Rover genuine products are just pricey in general, and that's certainly not to say there isn't better products out there.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Yes, if you're buying the shackle and the backing plate the total cost is about the same but if you already have the shackles it's cheaper. There are also other sources in the States offering the same Dixon-Bate jaw without the backing plate and hardware under $70. But even the Expediton Exchange setup is another example of messed up pricing. Forge a u-shaped piece with expanded ends, drill a hole through one ear, machine threads into the other ear, forge a pin, machine threads on one end, put the 2 together, $15. Forge a t-shaped lump, drill 3 holes, $35.

Last edited by 04duxlr; 03-18-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Camel Trophy

I guess if you have ability to forge steel it's overpriced, but I'm yet to meet a person who has that ability and wouldn't just build themselves a bumper with recovery points already on it. Also ideally you shouldn't use a recovery point without a backing plate, you lose a lot of strength.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Zack, I did the same for the rear. I have the receiver hitch. I did not think that $85 was all that bad at all. I am excited to get it. Thanks again Z!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Winching

04 I just checked that link out and that is a nice bracket and all together its only $70 plus shipping it would have been $30 cheaper than what I bought. I bought a shackle as well so it put me over $100 plus shipping. I do like the one Zack sold me because it has a larger foot print/base so I think it will be stronger. That may just be me trying to justify the $30 more it cost me lol.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Pro Wrench

The's no doubt what you bought is more than up to the task and down the road you'll forget what you paid but just the same that's alot of money for something that isn't that involved to make!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Winching

Yeah 04 it is a lot of money for something so small as Zack said I do not have a way to make it myself. I wish I did. I would have loved to make my own bumpers but I have no way or know how to do it.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by aarongregor
04 I just checked that link out and that is a nice bracket and all together its only $70 plus shipping it would have been $30 cheaper than what I bought. I bought a shackle as well so it put me over $100 plus shipping. I do like the one Zack sold me because it has a larger foot print/base so I think it will be stronger. That may just be me trying to justify the $30 more it cost me lol.
Yeah I noticed you bought a shackle. It's a good think to have, but one of the great things about the tow jaw assembly is that you don't need one with a correct sized winch slip hook.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Winching

Good point Zack, tell Steve I said thanks again.

Quick Reply: swivel recovery pins and shackles