Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Tail lights not working

Truck is a 2000 D2 with approx 110 miles on it.

Tail lights are not working. THe right and left went out at the same time. Reverse lights work, indicator lights work, rear manual break lights work, bulbs are all good an checked all relevant fuses ( I think). I do not want to buy a new tail light assembly and find out that the problem was not fixed. Any ideas? Are the tail lights on some fuse I may have missed? I think I checked them. I didn't know the exact fuse so I checked every light related fuse.
If the driver side is bad will the passenger side stop working as well?
Thanks for any help.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do your front parking lights work? Do you have power at the connector that plugs in to the tail light? The problem is not the tail light assembly.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Winching
Default tail lights

Hello, thanks for getting back to me. I'm guessing parking lights are the amber lights beside my headlights. They do not seem to work but they flash when indicator is enguaged. As far as power to the tail lights, I would only guess they are getting power becuase the break, reverse and indicator lights are all working. I hope that helps.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Winching
Default Tail lights

After some more sloothing on the internet I'm leaning towards this being the indicator/light switch on the steering wheel. My only concern is that when you turn the switch once the dash lights still come on but not parking lights or tail lights. Turn the switch one more time and you get headlights but no parking or tail lights.
Also if it is this switch would it just fail all of a sudden? Wouldn't it slowly start to go. work a few times then not etc? Thanks for any help.

Switch seems to be pretty cheap online 25-60 bucks used depending. I'm just looking for some other options before ordering the part.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Fuse LINK 13 under hood controls power to these. It is switched by a relay that is part of fuse panel inside truck. When stalk switch is operated, relay pulls in to operate those lights. It puts plus battery to fuses 11 and 33 inside truck. So you can meter to see if the fuses are getting hot power, and if fuse link is good. I would think you could hear the relay.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Winching
Default tail lights not working

I did a power test to fuse 11 and 33 under the dash. With lights off and with lights turned on once for parking and tail lights. It gave me a reading with lights off but with lights on it gave me no power reading.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

And your each of your meter probes where touched to where for this test?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Winching

This was my first time doing this so hopefully I did it right. I touched them to where the fuse would plug in. So I had a meter end in each spot where the fuse would plug in. not right?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, that is not the way. You want to use meter or test light with one lead on frame ground (something metal in truck, like a bolt). Touch the other probe on to the points you mentioned. If FUSE was present, you can touch the exposed metal point in the top of the fuse. With lights "supposed" to be on, you should see 12 volts to ground at both sides of the fuse with fuse plugged in (and good fuse). Without it out, would see 12 volts only on one side of socket, and it should go away when lights turned off.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
[B][U][I]Truck is a 2000 D2 with approx 110 miles on it.
Wow! I am jealous.

Quick Reply: Tail lights not working