Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take a look at my leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Take a look at my leaks?

Hey guys,

As you know, I'm a relatively new owner. I spent a while tonight laying on the garage floor looking around under the disco. With it lifted as it is, I could practically move in under there. Anyway, I took some photos of my leaks. I have two: 1 on the bell housing and 1 on the transfer case. They both are pretty minor, a few drops a day, if that. Would you be so kind as to take a glance at them?

I said to myself at one point while examining the way the suspension is built... "When this one dies, I'll buy another". I'm hooked. Anyway, on with the photos...

Figure A: Bell housing leak. This is the bigger of the two. I have about a 5" round spot of oil in my garage from where the truck has been parked at night for a few weeks. This one looks like an easy fix. Am I wrong? Note: These photos were taken about 4 hours after washing the bottom side of the truck (gotta get all the MN salt off).

Figure B: Transfer case leak. The P/O resealed the transfer case. It looks like he screwed something up. Seems to be coming off of the edge of that plate.

Figure C: What the heck is this wire? It's located on the right side, about even with the transfer case.

Attached Thumbnails Take a look at my leaks?-image0093.jpg   Take a look at my leaks?-image0094.jpg   Take a look at my leaks?-image0095.jpg  

Last edited by maxman; 12-09-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Max,the access plate on the bottom of the transmission has some oil or coolant on it. It may be coming from the rear mainseal. More likely, it is coming from the valve cover gaskets and running down the back of the block and then down the side of the bell housing and then to the low point, the access plate. You can try to tighting up the valve cover bolts, they are 8mm 12 point boltheads, you may want to find a 1/4 inch drive socket. It may also be coming from the head gaskets. They may be leaking and running along the block to the bell housing and then down to the access plate. As for the transfer case, it may be blow back from the bell housing. Be sure to check the fluid level in the transfer case. Good luck. Phil